Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

mental drafting

You can't imagine how happy I was this afternoon seeing sheep gazing by the side of the road when I drove home from work. During the summer, when I passed the empty meadow, I worried that maybe the farmer had given the sheep away. (I didn't want to think of any darker alternatives.) Today they were back, still and content, not a worry in the world. The sun casting a golden glow over the meadow, the grass still summer green, and maples and birches forming a yellow wall on the background, the scenery with sheep would have made a wonderful painting. Or a photo. I snapped a mental photo.
This is what I have been doing lately. Instead of taking photos with a camera I find scenes and situations to take mental photos of. I store them in the lovely writing place I have in my brain. The same place where I draft my slices of life. It's so safe to draft in the head. The words and photos sound and look perfect. Perfect is not what I wish. (A bit of self lie there. Of course I wish I would take a photo and write a slice I could consider perfect.) One can't rely on the mental drafts only when wishing to grow and build habits. One can't rely on mental drafts for collecting and sharing.
On Saturday I took my camera and went for a walk before dinner.
Now I am writing the slice before going to sleep.











4 comments:

  1. You created a lovely, peaceful picture with your words. I, too, often write the slices in my head before the words are written down and published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words can paint pictures just as detailed and colorful as any camera or artist. Your words create a beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing your word pictures as well as your snapshots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another lovely slice! Like you, I often mull through slice ideas in my mind first. However,I notice that they usually sound way better than when they are actually composed! I love picturing you taking your mental snapshots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doesn't everything sound so wonderful when it's in that drafting stage in our minds? It's my favorite way to write too.... Lovely photographs.

    ReplyDelete