Walking from school to the train station after the lessons, my eyes keep looking right and left. Still nothing. I distract myself with buying a torte to celebrate my wedding anniversary.
Now, standing in front of the national theatre, I find the curve of the stairs inviting. It could be a good place. Maybe. People and dogs might pass. Something could happen.
I go closer to the side door, put my bag and torte down, dig out the camera from the bag and start taking photos.
As part of the assignment I should have a reason (why?) I chose this place, and an idea what I want to show, something I wish to highlight.
I can't answer these questions. I don't know what I am doing. In all honesty I very likely look ridiculous squatting on the stairs of an opera house and taking pictures of who knows what.
I return to the stair two days in a row. I take pictures from different angles. I try to catch the people and a dog (only one dog showed up) but they move fast and end out of focus. Nothing interesting happens on the stairs. It was ridiculous to choose the stairs.
On the fourth day I get sick. I can't take pictures of the fresh snow on the stairs. I can't go to the stairs in the evening of a performance to take pictures of all the legs and shoes on the stairs. I have very few pictures. None with a story, an idea, a message or fascinating detail. Knowing that I am the least experienced of the group*, not completely in command of the technical side of photographing yet, I can imagine how others look at my pics and shrug their shoulders and shake their head, maybe not publicly but in their minds, and the teacher can't find a positive thing to say, I play with the idea of not turning in the homework. But I am not this kind of a student. I will share the pictures and hope that the comments others give will help me to do better next time. Currently I check the assessment box: not there, yet.
* from Saturday's blog post:
"Starting a new photography class. Once again I am the least experienced in the group. The group has someone who started taking pictures 50 years ago, one who works as a photographer in a newspaper, one who is a leader of street photographers' group, one who took a year long photography course at the university, one who has her own studio, one who takes photos for websites, and some others who started their introductions with "I have taken photos as long as I remember" and then me, who only less than two years ago learned what the buttons on my camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8) mean, and usually takes pictures of nature and teacups, and even that I haven't done over the past three weeks. I think I am still going to enjoy the class because the teacher started the lesson with a poem."
What an adventure this class will be! Even if you feel you are the most inexperienced person, you are not. Your photos are unique and I marvel at the perspective and detail you include every time. Don't let that inner critic near you! When I look at these steps I wonder who has walked these steps. They have a story to tell.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry you were sick. I hope you are feeling better.
The whole point of taking a class is to learn something new. I always like to live by the adage, "I learned more from failure than I did from success." Besides, different things interest different people. Just like we do with our students during conferences, comments and suggestions help us grow.
ReplyDeleteThe photo you posted is lovely! The slight curve of the steps leading to the round columns in the midground, and the round openings in the wall in the background. There's movement there even though everything is stationary. That is a great assignment.
ReplyDeleteDid you ever see the movie "Smoke," with Harvey Keitel? His character runs a shop on a corner, and for decades he has stood in the doorway of his store and taken a photograph of what he sees. He has thousands of photos of that one spot, which changes every day, yet patterns emerge. That maybe where your teacher got the idea. It's an interesting movie, as well.
I love all your pictures, and imagine the teacher will have something to "give" you to keep you motivated, too, Terje. That's what helps us learn, as I'm sure you know. I'm sorry you missed that 'snowy' time; it would have been good, too. I wonder if people look when I stop to take the 'odd' photo. I did yesterday & was at the edge of a busy street, wanting to include the mountains in my sky pic. I'm learning to not be shy. Can't wait to hear more about this class!
ReplyDeleteKudos to you for putting yourself out there and trying something new that stems from a true passion. Choice is the buzzword of the education world these days, and you've chosen well. I think sometimes when we want to excel, we want everything to be "perfect" and lose sight of the perfection that is right in front of us. Keep finding those untapped places and trust that your eye will lead the way! Good luck!
ReplyDeletemrspalmerponders.wordpress.com - couldn't leave a comment with my regular email, so it's listed as anonymous. Perhaps your sharing is not all turned on? Thanks for the slice!
ReplyDeleteLovely - I like your photo with the curve of the steps and the curve of the wall. As I read your writing I had a very different steps in my head so I was surprised when I say your photo. I love the story and the photo together.
ReplyDeleteI am taking a drawing/ shading class right now and feel just like you. A class of really long time Botanical artists and then me just beginning to draw. Scary but I am learning lots. I expect you are as well. I would love to take a photography class. Have fun!
Being a novice in the company of more expert practitioners is nerve-wracking, but good for you for sticking with it! You will surely learn a lot! Although I know nothing about photography I love your picture- it reminds me of living in Europe and all the opportunities for musical events throughout the cities. Your words express the tension you are feeling well!
ReplyDeleteWhat learner you are. You reach beyond what others (might) think to adventure into your passion. Beautiful work for you as a creative person as a teacher of little learners.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that you've chosen to take your passion for photography to another level, Terje. Your photos are always so artful - you have a real gift for composition and color.
ReplyDelete