Can you relate to the situation where the bookshelves start overflowing, the to-be-read pile keeps growing, you spend more money on books than on shoes, and you still can't resist buying one more book?
Beginning of this year my family decided to go on a book buying diet. We agreed that we will borrow books from the library and avoid bookstores.
The first three months went fine. As fine as it can be when you have to resist your cravings. Then we decided that bookstores and book buying would be special occasions reserved for birthdays. We bought books on my birthday, then on my daughter's birthday. Not one book for a birthday child but books for everyone in the family. When my nephew had a birthday in May my daughters and I strongly considered whether we could include him as our family member. As a support group for each other we gently and firmly declined this opportunity to buy more books.
My memory is a bit hazy when it comes to how we were not able to keep up with our promise when summer came. It could be that the bookstores deliberately stood on our way. It could be that the books put a spell on us. Once the heavy rain kept us in a small shopping center and no matter what routes we took we ended in the bookstore. We sat and read. We looked at books. We sat and read. We looked at books. We touched them. The rain kept pouring, pouring, pouring. We bought three books.
The other day I saw a bookstore's ad in my Gmail inbox. Delete button is so easy to use. I usually use it vey successfully. Not this time. I saw the discount and a book that was very inviting. A book I knew I would eventually buy anyway. I deleted the ad.
On the same day on my way home I stood on the sidewalk waiting for the green light. On the other side of the street the book discount ad was bright and yellow. When I got across the street, the book I wanted was on the display window. Usually I am in a hurry to catch a train and briskly walk by the bookstore. I wasn't in a hurry. You can see how all the little elements had spun a web around me and I ended up behind a counter buying the book.
Do I regret not resisting the ad? No.
Astrid Lindgren's biography is a book worth buying.
Reading this book has to wait a bit. I have to finish Steve Jobs' biography first. I have to return it to the library.
Terje, your writing belongs in a column or a collection of published essays. I love the tongue-in-cheek humor. I smiled, then laughed, then hooted. And no one is here with me! I love "When my nephew had a birthday in May my daughters and I strongly considered whether we could include him as our family member." And then that second you crossed the street, busted! Just think how I've been doing working at the bookstore! It's not pretty! Thanks from a booklover across the sea! And yes, I use the library a lot, too!
ReplyDeleteI love this post!! And I can totally relate to it! My classroom bookshelves are overflowing with student books. My own children have books in their rooms, in the play room, in the living room, in my room, and in the car. My nightstand is covered with books to be read and I crave the time that I have carved out to dig into a good book.
ReplyDeleteI love the line "the books put a spell on us" because I have been put under this same spell! I too have considered going on a "book buying diet" but cannot ever stick to it....books are just too captivating!
Thanks for sharing!
"It could be that the books put a spell on us." This is perfect, Terje! I try so hard to resist buying books. But between Island Books in our community, Powell's Bookstore in Portland, and our library used book sales, I'm an abject failure. I know you'll enjoy that new biography, once you finish the one you're reading! It's a wonderful addiction and you're in good company!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Linda - I would love to see your posts as a collection of columns!
ReplyDeleteYou made me laugh!
ReplyDelete