Pages

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

tears in the writing workshop

From my point of view everything was fine.
The mini lesson went smoothly.
I had demonstrated my thinking and writing for "lift a line" using our current read aloud.
Then we had written another example together with the students.
This is a lesson in the series 'how writers get ideas."
Like every time before writing I remind that the journal is a safe space, bad writing is better than no writing, there are no right and wrong ideas, listen to the words that surface, something that seems nonsense at first might turn into wonderful idea later.
I send the kids off with their reading books and writing journals and soon some of them are already recording a sentence from the text to use it as a starting point for writing.
S. keeps furrowing his eyebrows, his body shrinking lower and lower in the chair.
"How is it going?" I ask quietly when I sit next to him.
"I can't write," he mumbles.
"Do you have a line?" I wonder.
He pushes his journal towards me. "I don't have a credit card" is written with tiny letters.
"This is a start. What is the first thing that comes to your mind?' I prompt.
"Nothing," he turns away from me.
"I will read the line to you, and you will say what is the firs thing that comes to your mind. I don't have a credit card," I say and wait
"I have no money," he says barely audibly.
"Write it down," I encourage him.
"No, this is bad," he puts his head on the table.
"Remember there is no bad or good, the important thing is to write," I say, hoping it will help.
"No. This is bad. I am stupid," he says with a shaky voice and starts sobbing.
At this point I know that n matter what I say he won't write.
I put my hand gently on his back and push the tissue box closer to him.
"I am sorry that you feel this way," I say.

My point of view of the lesson and the young writer's point of view were completely different.
I hope that with time S. will find his words and confidence. I hope that one day he will approach writing with the spirit of inquiry and see himself as a writer.


7 comments:

  1. That is a story that rings true of those children whose fears stop them from finding their voice. Your understanding approach surely will make a difference with S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Bad writing is better than no writing." We could all benefit from remembering this line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you pushed the tissue box closer and recognized his feelings. "I hope that with time S. will find his words and confidence." It will happen with you as a writing coach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I a sure that with your encouragement S. Will find his words and realize that he has lots of important things to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a necessary reminder: "bad writing is better than no writing, there are no right and wrong ideas, listen to the words that surface, something that seems nonsense at first might turn into wonderful idea later."

    ReplyDelete
  6. When writing gets emotional, we forget how painful it can be. I appreciate your compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were so compassionate with your student. That is something he will surely remember.

    ReplyDelete