Pages

Saturday, August 19, 2017

back to celebrating


Two weeks have passed without writing a celebration.

Two weeks ago I couldn't bring myself to write a celebration. My summer was over and instead of celebrating all the good it had held I grieved for the loss. In hindsight it is obviously silly but on that day I could only think of the no-mores. No more sleeping long, no more slow days, no more seaside, no more freedom, no more calm, no more hours for reading, no more little nephew time. I couldn't celebrate the what was to come either. So I didn't write.

A week ago I escaped to the countryside for one more summer day. I muffled school thoughts and pretended I had the time of the world and summer would never end.  As to mock me the day ended with the most magnificent and scary thunder storm I had ever seen. Sunday was all about thinking, planning, preparing. Suddenly my to-do-list was taller than me and dictated my actions. Blogging had no chance to make on that list.  

Last week I passed a newsstand where one of the magazine headline announced that August is the best month of the year for Aries. Who knows what the horoscope really promised but at that moment I realized that my mindset had stopped me from seeing the good. This August indeed is the best month of the year for me.

Beginning of August included summer slow and a small road trip with my sis and kids.
The first week of school was with leadership and new teachers.
Last week was awesome team building with the whole staff and two of my teacher teams. 
Next week the students will arrive.

Why the acceptance of summer ending had been so challenging for me? How had I not noticed all the awesome the beginning of the school held? How come I had forgotten the power of celebration?

I am here today. I celebrate the natural cycle of seasons changing and accepting that endings and beginnings are natural part of life. I hope that as I adjust to the routine of the school time I will revisit summer memories and find words to share them on the blog - my writing playground.

May your transition from summer to fall be smooth and joyful!

7 comments:

  1. Now this writing is worth celebrating, Terje. You will be able to revisit summer memories when I unveil my summer gallery so send me more beautiful shots of summer in Estonia. Enjoy your back to school experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Transitions - they are not easy. I think it's okay to grieve the loss of a spectacular summer like yours. It's why I always had my students write Kiss Summer Goodbye writing pieces. It helped me understand and see them as people who were leaving behind something they loved. However, once that first step is taken, the rest becomes easier. And then we would write Embrace Festive Fall pieces as we looked to the seasonal delights of fall. Here's to a wonderful beginning this week with students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have not been celebrating. Buried in my own "taller than me" list. So glad you are here to share your process back to school and back to celebration. Love hearing your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it's so hard to stop and celebrate -- I hear you on the "taller than me" list... that's what August seems to be about -- I have been mourning the end of summer too... I just want a little more time!!! But taking the time to write like you just did is really setting up the transition to the celebrations that fall hold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your hope for us. :) Transitioning back to school is always a little rough for me. I am a night owl and so my sleep in the summer feels natural and right. I too start thinking of all the ways life will be more challenging once school begins again. I am hoping for the excitement that many of my students feel at the beginning of the year. That's what I am focusing on this week - seeing their bright and excited faces. I wish you a wonderful year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, you have said it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly how you feel. I'm a nanny, so transitioning from family to family (usually in August) is always hard. I can't imagine being a teacher! But August always brings new opportunities and new beginnings. You just have to get through the "mourning period".

    With Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete