Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Slice of life



I shouldn't have ignored the clouds I saw from the window. Ignore might not be the right term. I didn't ignore them. I acknowledged their rain-promising darkness, even took an umbrella, and walked out full of hope that it wouldn't rain yet. Hope and umbrella are not enough sometimes. Common sense of taking a shorter route, wearing waterproof shoes and a jacket would have been better decisions.
Too late. The rain was pouring down in all its might. My shoes and jeans were soaking wet already. What to do? It's all about the mindset. The rain won't melt me. The shoes and clothes will dry. My two hands are enough for balancing an umbrella and holding a camera. If I need two hands for taking pictures shoulder-cheek grip is a useful technique for holding the umbrella. The sight of me leaning down a river bank to capture a photo of a maple leaf fallen on a spruce branches might be strange for eyewitnesses. There are none. Great that it is raining!


* Having busy (getting even busier) times I am sometimes (often) tempted to let go of things I enjoy and value, like photographing and writing. It is so important to still stick to the valuable activities. These are what help to get out of the busy and refuel with joy and energy. I am smiling now that I finished the slice. Not only have I recorded my memory but I have practiced my skills of writing a short text in a short time, I have kept to my routine of writing ( even if for now it is only blogging twice a week) and I can say I am a teacher who writes. 


9 comments:

  1. Love the pic and your descriptive text. Sometimes walking in the rain can be so healing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pic and your descriptive text. Sometimes walking in the rain can be so healing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will think of your positive mindset next time I am caught in the rain. I also love the image and the thought of you with your umbrella technique capturing the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are indeed a teacher who writes, and I love the backstory of the picture that I saw earlier. It's beautiful. You have a wonderful eye for the pics, Terje. I'm glad you have not given up what's important in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right, rain is only water and water dries. Why not enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you took on the rain and brought us the gift of that lovely leaf. Keep em coming, will you?
    Bonnie K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such evocative writing, Terje. Love that leaf photograph, too - beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such evocative writing, Terje. Love that leaf photograph, too - beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love when creativity beats out common sense! I can just imagine you holding the umbrella with that shoulder-cheek grip! Beautiful work from a talented teacher who just so happens to write!

    ReplyDelete