Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

This is what I believe in

Summer holidays started last Friday, yet I am still thinking and doing school. The end of the school year was busy to the point that I had no time to sort my classroom or finish all the reflections on the digital planners. Yesterday I drove to school and spent several hours sorting the books and materials I would give to the new 3rd grade teacher, take with me or get rid of. Better to do it now than to meet the mess in the fall. Today I have been finishing my planners. Looking at the written planners  I realized that so much of the teacher knowledge, decision making and actions, as well student thinking, learning and growth stays hidden, never written down in detail unless you are keeping a diary or writing a book. There is a personal element that does not become visible on the official planners. The central ideas, lines of inquiry, concepts, attitudes, scope and sequence, assessment, learning experiences, resources, reflections - you can write all of this down, but no two teachers teach the same way, and the influence of a teacher as a person, the philosophy and emotion that drive the teacher can change the course of learning.
Sorting materials and sorting planners nudged me to sort my thoughts, to look for what is essential for me in teaching, what beliefs drive what happens in my classroom. 
Without hours for revision, I let my words roll out as they are, to capture what I believe in right now, at the end of 2015-2016 school year.

I believe in beginning teaching from where the students are
This year showed more than ever that the scope and sequence and the written planners are just words. There are students who are like sponges, enthusiastically absorbing every learning opportunity, eagerly building connections, exploring ideas, experimenting and creating with joy and visible growth. To these students a teacher can keep providing new layers of information, present challenges, nudge them to move beyond the expected. Other students are tangled in their emotions, lacking the basic knowledge, not sure of themselves, angry at the world, lost for solutions, mistaken in their behavior, ready to fight or flee. With these the teacher has to spend a lot of time building a relationship, providing a safe environment, offering different choices, listening, looking for reasons, explaining the power of yet, making visible how their choices and actions contribute to their learning, celebrating their success. There is no way to cater to the different needs and knowledge bases with a combination of a textbook, a workbook or worksheets or to check their learning and understanding with a multiple choice test. Varied learning opportunities, low floor-high ceiling assessments, multiple resources, discussions and reflections, accepting and celebrating differences, focusing on the growth -  allow each child to feel as a valued, capable, and confident learner.

I believe in kindness changing the world
In the times of violence and environment issues the values children carry become more important than the bits of information their brain holds. Helping the students to see how different words and choices can change the mood and relationships, teaching them to listen to each other and find solutions, learning to forgive and show appreciation - the kids learn that they have a lot of power, they can make their friendships, their classrooms and the world either better or worse. It is so easy to get in the vicious cycle of "He did, she did, but she started," but much harder to say, "I am sorry. I also contributed to this issue. I could have done differently. Forgive me." It takes time to teach the students to think, "What might have been the reason..? What might he/she be thinking or feeling? What can I do to change the situation? Can I find the space in my heart to understand and forgive?" It is even harder sometimes to learn what and when to say and consider how your words can stir emotions. When kids learn to be kind to themselves, others and their surroundings, they grow up to be adults who strive to peace and sustainability.

I believe in mindfulness helping with relationships and being healthy
Breathing in and breathing out, being aware of the signs when irritation creeps in, remembering that the behavior of students is not about you, choosing reactions carefully, focusing on the positive - it makes a difference how a teacher sees the class, experiences the days and builds resilience. There will always be good days and bad days, days when things go smoothly and days when everything goes wrong, days to jump from joy and days to cry - no matter which the days are like, noticing what is going around and within oneself, being able to stay calm and let go helps to keep the heart and mind in balance. Learning to rest, to accept being enough, to show gratitude contributes to happiness. Mindfulness builds core strength protecting from the negative emotions swallowing or breaking one. Teaching the students to observe their bodies and minds, teaching them ways to handle their emotions, to relax and focus - supports with problem solving and having a positive learning environment. Mindfulness can't be learned in one course and mastered in a few months. The first steps my students and I took this year already made a difference.

I read my words, and almost wish to say, "Duh, all of this is obvious." I won't. I have no problem admitting that I haven't always known and understood this to the level that I can say that that these are the beliefs that drive me. In addition to all of the above I believe in always growing and learning.

******************
Slice of Life at Two Writing Teachers


10 comments:

  1. In the culture of the "traditional school" none of this is obvious and if we are persistent they can be the truths we learn and let shape us! You have so beautifully articulated the essentials I hold dear but do not always practice. Thank you and I am keeping these words in a place I can re-read them often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. While some may say "duh", these are such powerful statements!! It takes courage to write these and to share them out with others, and for that I am thankful to you! I'm saving this blog so I can revisit this when times seem a little bit tough. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. While some may say "duh", these are such powerful statements!! It takes courage to write these and to share them out with others, and for that I am thankful to you! I'm saving this blog so I can revisit this when times seem a little bit tough. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your beliefs should be obvious but many times are not. Thanks for bringing them to the foreground.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very powerful beliefs that will change and challenge any person. I've said it before and will say it again, you are one wise woman! Have a delightful and restful summer Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely not 'duh' statements. Very beautiful and poignant.

    Not everyone is driven so strongly by their beliefs. You are smart to keep them at your core.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these reflections! I'm a PYP educator, too, and there's so much more to an education than learning the content. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been working on mindfulness for the past 2+ years and I still feel like a novice.

    Like Dana said, definitely not DUH statements here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your belief statements and they are at the core of what I believe too. These are the transdisciplinary/meta ideas that really have to surround what we do to shape the community of learners we are a part of. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your belief statements and they are at the core of what I believe too. These are the transdisciplinary/meta ideas that really have to surround what we do to shape the community of learners we are a part of. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete