Pages

Friday, March 4, 2016

Staying calm when things go crazy




We were following our morning routine, a bit of math and daily writing, when two things happened. One of my students had a plan in his head that strongly clashed with  the task he had to finish. (I have feeling that not matter how well thought through the learning related tasks intrude the world of children. Especially with the students who function differently than the traditional expectations.) The shadow assistant kept calmly repeating to put away the book and finish the bit of daily math, when suddenly the student screeched, ripped the paper, threw it on the floor and stormed out of the classroom. The assistant quietly followed.
Other students lifted their eyes for a moment and continued writing or math. No comments. No giggles or making faces.
It didn't take long when the student returned in the company of the principal who kindly, yet firmly spoke to him. The student returned and sat back, when another student, who is in a need of a shadow assistant, wanted to get something from her bag and suddenly morning cereal coverd the carpet. (Apparently this was her snack for this day.) Not having enough words and not having learned yet how to handle her emotions, she started screaming, sat on the floor and rocked herself back and forth.
I was about to talk to her, when the principal said, " Go back to what you have to do. I'll take care of this."
Other students lifted their eyes for a moment and continud writing or math. No comments. No giggles or making faces.
With time and help of the principal the two students picked the pieces of paper and vacumed cereal from the floor, and calmed the emotions
When the class was tidy, the principal turned to the whole class complimenting them for their patience and understanding.
I am so impressed with my students who have accepted the classmates who differ from them. Not only accept but understand and support and include them.

8 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. It makes your heart swell when your students instinctually do the right and loving thing. It gives great hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed as well. Our little people rise up and show so much patience, understanding, and empathy -- more that sometimes the adults can provide. We have moments like you described on a daily basis at our school, and I'm sure many schools across the globe. But we breathe in the emotions and stress and exhale the patience. Our students also respond how we respond. You were setting the example. Bravo and here's to another day full of patience and continued efforts to reach all our students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well. Wow. I just have to say there is a lot in this post that speaks about your learning community. Please also know how fortunate you are that you have a principal that is a part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your community was assembled with love these many days they have been together. You are so understanding in these situations. What a gift to have a principal who is there and supports you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy that your learning community understands we are all different and that we all have challenges. We just want to be accepted. Hats off to the principal for coming back to compliment the students. Happy Writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it starts with you, Terje, and the modeling they see from you, every day and in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it starts with you, Terje, and the modeling they see from you, every day and in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for your students for making good choices! I believe you've helped create a community where those choices are expected and that helps everyone feel safe. Love when students surpass expectations!

    ReplyDelete