Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Looking for a meaning


The sign informed me that pharmacy would open at 9:30. I checked my watch. It was 9:05. My great plan for a quick run to the pharmacy before breakfast did not happen. I walked back home.
After breakfast I had a second try.
The snow and ice stubbornly hold on to to the ground. I watch where I step not to slip and fall.
On the other side of the road I see my daughter's former teacher doing the same, only walking the opposite direction.
We wave and I am ready to move on, when in a split second, I turn and cross the street.  We used to go for a walk sometimes. We liked to talk about school and children. We haven't seen for a long time.
I saw her in a local newspaper because she had received an award for being an awesome teacher.
We hug. I congratulate her. We chat of school and children. This year she switched schools. From a large mass production school to a small parent initiated school.  She loves it. We say our goodbyes and go in our separate destinations.
I saw he last night when she went to visit my neighbor, her childhood friend. I saw her waving to my neighbor's husband who drove to the driveway, then lifting a bottle of wine in her right hand and waving it with a huge smile towards my neighbor's kitchen window.  Exuberant and happy were the words in my mind.

Walking back I think of  this little slice of my life, and wonder what is the meaning of it. I find three.
It could have irritated me that the pharmacy was closed when I first went. Now I took it calmly. I should mention that when I got to the pharmacy, I discovered that I had left my wallet at home and had to go back for a thrd time. None of it made me upset. Kind of good to know I can keep my calm.
Yesterday I wrote about Friday night choices of going out or staying in. At some point in my life I used to be sad that I didn't have a busy social life, nothing happening on Friday. The little scene that I had seen from my window last night did not make me jealous. I was able to smile and then return to my sofa. In this part of my life I can handle school and family, some after school educational events, and occasional days out but friends are a bit neglected. I accept it. You have to make choices because it is impossible to fit everything in. I think it was Clare Landrigan who introduced me to the concept of rotated neglect.
The pharmacy being closed at first altered my plans. Thanks to this I had a very positive encounter. This unexpected meeting left me with light and smiling feeling.

When you choose a slice to write, there are many that go unwritten. I wrote a celebration of my unwritten slices here.

I hope your Saturday brings something unexpected and positive to you.


11 comments:

  1. I'm so curious of this "rotated neglect"... I agree with life being filled with so many choices and it's impossible to say yes to them all. It's about choosing, yes, but it's also about not being wishy-washy about your decision after you've made your choice. You've got to stick with it, believe in your choice, and learn to not look back or over to others' choices... Nice little slice on this Saturday morning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rotated neglect - looks like it resonates with Book Mama too! I like her stance that it includes making the choice and sticking with it. You amaze me that three trips to the pharmacy on the snow and ice did not irritate you. I need some of that kind of calm. And I'm so glad you made time to go across the street and speak with a friend. And while I had the atlas out this past week, I patted Estonia and told my husband, "That's where my friend Terje lives."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds to me that you had the perfect night! So glad you recognized all the slices that were hidden in these every day events. You are right -- there are so many slices in our life that go unwritten. Slicing and blogging has helped me be more mindful and aware.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here's to unexpected rewards when something expected doesn't happen. Love to hear your thoughts about this slice of time you had, Terje.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to repeat the line I just wrote on your Celebration post. I always learn when I visit here with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to discover the unexpected in my life, hoping it will always be positive. You are a model for taking the positive approach to things that might annoy others. Hope your Saturday was a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you always choose to go with the right side of things. It makes life so much grander.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to look at this day. You made me think differently about the encounters I have had today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These unexpected moments, I believe, are gifts - what a lovely and reflective slice, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These unexpected moments, I believe, are gifts - what a lovely and reflective slice, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The story or slice was in your interpretation of the day's events. Glad yours was positive.

    ReplyDelete