Friday, March 25, 2016
How to make happy
When the gray clouds hang low,
hiding the sun form your heart,
you could let the darkness wrap you,
get drunk with the self pity,
you can be selfish if you want to.,
if that's what you need.
It happens to many,
the not enough,
the too much,
the can't,
the lonely,
the lost.
If you think of it,
you are a mass of atoms,
a chemical compound.,
a complicated system.
Think again.
You are a miracle.
Now list all that is well:
your heart beating to a steady rhythm,
your body ready to walk and dance,
your senses enriching your experiences
your mind keeping you sane.
You are alive, alive, alive.
Look at a delicate flower.
Tiny, pure, beautiful blossom of promise.
Take a bite of an apple.
Fresh, juicy, sweet taste of now.
Give a hug to someone.
Warm, soft, safe feeling of together.
Open a book.
Rich, inviting, mysterious connections across time.
You may borrow my list.
Or make your own.
*If anyone worries about me, don't. I had a moment of "nothing to write" today, a long to-do-list I didn't know where to start with, a plan that didn't exactly work, a grumpy almost teenager whining, so for a moment I let my guards down and silly thoughts and negative emotions crept close. I listened to my daughter, changed my plan, took small steps to tackle my to-do-list, flipped through my photos for inspiration and wrote what came to my mind. The sun isn't out yet, but it has to come eventually. If not today, then tomorrow, or next week.
Labels:
poemish,
SOLSC 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love the flip in your poem! From the dark to the light and joy. There are so many things to be happy for in our lives. Somehow the dark seems to overshadow the good, if you let it. I look for the good and push the worrisome aside.
ReplyDeleteIt is easy to see the dark side, to feel overwhelmed. Thanks for this beautiful reminder to look for the beauty and opportunity the world offers.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. Seeing the dark side from time to time strengthens the light! The miracle of it all.
ReplyDeleteIt was so interesting to hear about the way you processed this, Terje, and made a challenging day a writing day.
ReplyDeleteIt was so interesting to hear about the way you processed this, Terje, and made a challenging day a writing day.
ReplyDeleteYour wise words are most welcome, Terje. I like what you said & the result was something that all of us can enjoy and listen to. Have a lovely Saturday.
ReplyDelete