Pages

Sunday, March 13, 2016

happy mom moment


When my daughter is on the dance floor, I have eyes only for her. Graceful and beautiful, magnificent and powerful - her dance takes my breath away.

Yesterday my daughter participated in the Estonian Championship in Standard dances. My hubby, my youngest daughter, my sis and I had come to support her.  The semi-final of Youth 2 had 10 couples. Since she has danced with her new partner only for seven months, we didn't know what to expect. We rejoiced when they got to the finals.

Three hours to wait before the finals. We watched other semi-finals: the little kids, juniors, seniors, youth, adults. Slow waltz, tango, Vienna waltz, foxtrot, quickstep. Again, and again and again. The music is loud, mixed with the clapping and cheering. The light and the colors, the movement can make the head spin. Sitting for hours on a bench during a dance competition tests patience and tortures the body. The whole event is a mixture of high positive emotions and the wish to escape.

When my daughter was back on the dance floor with five other couples for the five final dances, every fiber of my body is filled with hope and worry and admiration. Mostly admiration. Dance is a sport. Hours and hours of practice, sweat and pain, to leave an impression of flying to the music. Five short dances doesn't seem like much, but it takes a lot of strength and stamina. And when the dances are over, the couples smile and bow, walk off the floor, reach for the water bottles, wipe sweat from their necks and breathe deeply. They have done their best and now all is left is to wait for the results.

When all finals are over, everyone awaits for the award ceremony.
The six finalist couples march to the floor. The hosts start announcing the results from the sixth place.
I can feel my heart pounding, I am ready for her to be the sixth but hope for better. The sixth place was not her, the fifth place was not her. My heart speeds up and smile spreads. She has already done way better than she hoped for. Fourth place. Not her. Third place - her name is announced. She and her partner beam with happiness.
My daughter and her partner won bronze medals in Estonian Championship U21 group for Standard Dances. My heart waltzes.


With a different partner she got a fourth place two years ago, and then they won the championship in 10-dances. They danced for one more year and then her partner decided to stop dancing Standard and focus on Latin only. For more than half a year my daughter was without partner. She could have stopped. She did not give up. She did not stop dancing. My daughter has impressed me over and over with her determination and dedication.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations to you and your daughter! Wow! It is amazing how much energy and commitment and hard work people pore into something they love or care about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to all. Dancing is truly beautiful to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glorious pictures, Terje - and bravo to all your family! What a grand evening you all must have had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glorious pictures, Terje - and bravo to all your family! What a grand evening you all must have had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your words and photos took us there.
    I was on the edge of my seat too!
    What beauty and determination! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this on FB but it wasn't in English, but I thought the news would be good. It wasn't good, it was GREAT! Congratulations to your daughter and her partner! I loved your heart waltzed after you heard the results. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Congratulations to all! This dancing is foreign to me, but music is without boundaries, so I know that it was something to behold! Determination and hard work must always be commended!! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember when you shared about her earlier awards, Terje. How lovely she looks, & that's not close to how beautiful she (& partner) must dance. Wonderful, & congratulations to her for the persistence and hard, hard work. Proud Mama indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a wonderful slice - your daughter shows great determination and patience. Kudos to her for not giving up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope, worry, admiration! It's incredible to read of her perseverance. She is beautiful. I love the pictures. And then your words, "My heart waltzes!" wrap it all up.

    ReplyDelete