Ruth Ayres invites
people to share a celebration every Saturday. Thinking back to a week
you can pick anything - small or big - to celebrate. Thank you for the
invitation, Ruth!
For a sixth year I am participating in a month long blogging challenge. I have thought and said so before - I must be out of my mind to try to fit daily blogging into my already too filled days. How crazy it is to then write two posts in one day? I could have combined my slice and celebration today but I chose not to. Slices capture moments. This celebration is a gratitude list for the week.
- The school week after winter break was better than I anticipated. I saw growth and independence, creativity and commitment. Even little things like not having to remind a student to put his shoes on was a source of joy.
- Mimm and I have made time to sit down and simply talk. Mimm loves to talk and sometimes I am not the best listener. After a long day at school I wish for quiet, but I know it is important to be present for her. She is growing fast, and if I don't listen now, she might stop talking to me.
- I have been taking the train to work and back. I figured that even when I drove to school early I still didn't get as much done as I wished, so by choosing the train I gain time for a walk and reading twice a day.
- Occasionally I am taken aback when I discover that some adults find ways to avoid doing what is expected or necessary, and they have no problem when others have to do extra because of that. I am practicing of not letting this to upset me and focusing instead on the amazing people who show commitment, and also take extra steps beyond their duty to support the students.
- For the first time in my life I have a meal plan. I have eight weeks of dinner menus planned for four days of week. Fridays and weekends are open. I have a mixture of old favorites and new recipes to try out. This planning has reduced the daily stress of thinking and grocery shopping. This week I made a new curry soup. It didn't look anything like the picture next to the recipe, I put too much of the curry paste and the purple cabbage made the soup brown, but to my happiness my hubby said we could keep the recipe if I adjusted it a bit.
- Admitting that daily writing is crazy and accepting that it's ok, I have enjoyed finding the seeds for writing and recording the moments of my life every day. SOLSC 2016
| I love walking through the Old Tallinn in the mornings and afternoons. |
b
This daily writing helps us to notice the good in our lives, that day to day of seeing and living. I'm glad you are slicing with me again. What an amazing community of writers are we!
ReplyDeleteOh you are impressive. This is the one day of writing where I am combining a celebration with a slice of life. I am off to an all day literacy conference so I needed to buy some time! Isn't it great to commute to work not in a car? We can be more in touch with the world!
ReplyDeleteI love the decision to ride the train. It is no small thing to give yourself that time for walking and reading. I am very impressed by the menu planning also. I would bet that this really helps take some stress off your plate.
ReplyDeleteThat riding the train sounds like a beautiful way to transition from home to school & back again. Living close to my school didn't give me much time to do that. I love your celebration of conversations with Mimm, and though you are busy, that is something not to be missed. Have a happy weekend, Terje.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous photo! I lived in Belgium for 2 years in college and LOVED taking the train every day. So much to see and notice on the walk to and from the station and wonderful reading, writing, and people-watching time on the train. And congrats on the meal planning and menus! That's a huge accomplishment. I've been working on that too. And yes to the listening. I have to remember that too. I'm an introvert who would really like QUIET when I get home from work. My son is an extrovert who is rarely quiet for a full minute! There's conflict there if I let there be, opportunity if I reframe.
ReplyDeleteI think the thing I am most impressed with is your meal plan! That is something that goes by the wayside in busy times. Kudos to you for your conscious self care!
ReplyDeleteTerje, you seem very organized with your meal plan menus and separate writing posts. Glad that you are involved and make time for the small moments. Your photo is beautiful as are all of your photographs.
ReplyDeleteI too have noticed that some adults are avoiding things and it falls to others. I was stewing about that this week. I think each time I have one of those thoughts now, I will write a short thank you note to someone who does the opposite. Like you I want to turn my attention to something positive.
ReplyDelete