Monday, March 21, 2016
At the end of the day
At the end of the day, when the kids have gone home, a lonely eraser and three markers on a table speak of activities from the day. On a tray lay folders with drafts of texts and illustrations for picture books. On top of a shelf a line of four I-Pads rests and charges to get ready for more reflection writing tomorrow.
At the end of the day I have to admit that not all goals were achieved. We have student-led conferences on Thursday. The students have been writing reflections in various subjects. One would expect that it gets easier and the students become increasingly more independent. I have done what I can to support the students - discussing the purpose and audience of portfolios, giving guiding questions, showing reflections from previous years, listing the learning activities, suggesting the possible photos to include, providing time, even acting as a secretary for some. Yet, even with breaking the process down to small steps, listing them on the board, I still received some reflections that were two lines. Thinking of those reflections of course I was a bit disappointed, and equal measure worried. Will they ever get their reflections done? What will the students show? What will the parents think?
At the end of the day, sitting down to reflect, I know that the students eventually have to take the responsibility, and if two lines is what they are able to write now, this is what they will show. Since it is not just a portfolio conference, and they have different stations to rotate, they will have ways to show their learning, creations, attitudes and growth.
At the end of the day it is important for me to turn my look form the undone to the done. Some students have been pouring words on the page, their voice loud with pride. Many have been willing to go back and revise their reflections, adding more detail about the what and how and why of learning, choosing their best, showing process, noticing improvement, highlighting ideas, knowledge and skills.
At the end of a school day I know I still have many hours of the day left. I need to turn off the worries of what might be tomorrow or on Thursday and focus on what is right now. I have packed my schoolbag, ready to lock the door and go home. My family waits for me.
Labels:
school,
SOLSC 2016
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You are exactly right! Don't worry of what's to be, look at what is there and students will shine or not. It is really up to them to decide how they want to be presented to their parents.
ReplyDeleteI felt this way at the end of my day, too - but you are wiser than me, you knew what to do.
ReplyDeleteI felt this way at the end of my day, too - but you are wiser than me, you knew what to do.
ReplyDeleteLove that repetition ... at the end of the day. Love that you are taking time to reflect honestly. Love that you celebrate and think about what's next. Love that it ends with your family.
ReplyDeleteYou are wise, Terje, to consider that students can do what they can do, and the rest will come another time. I hope you've had a nice evening with your family.
ReplyDelete