Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Wishes


My husband, my youngest daughter and I decided to visit a local marsh lake yesterday. People had spoken about it many times to us. We had planned to go several times, yet, for different reasons never went. Yesterday afternoon, when the sun was still up, we filled a thermos with peppermint tea mixed with honey, took a pack of store bought gingerbread cookies, got properly dressed and drove a few kilometers away from our home. We parked our car and then were not sure where to go. The memory of a map we had checked at home pointed in one direction, the internet on the phone to another. Fortunately we were not the only ones wishing for an afternoon nature tour and the couple who arrived kindly agreed to show us the way.
On a cold December day it would make sense to stay home in the warmth and comfort, reading a book or watching old movies. Going out requires making a decision and then taking action, and the result may not necessarily be as you expect. Yet, yesterday - when my eleven year old was ready to go back home even before we arrived, when I felt silly for being topographically illiterate, when my toes and thumbs started to freeze a bit, when the sun set sooner than we expected - I felt happy. I had not experienced winter visit to a marsh lake before. The cold air filled the lungs with freshness. The hot tea warmed the blood. And the sunset (never fully captured on the photos) reminded how amazing it is to be alive and see the beauty of peace.

This is what I wish for everyone:

Health, peace and beautiful surprises for 2016




7 comments:

  1. I envy you that visit, Terje. It sounds lovely, cold toes and all. Love that you went, and then shared a few pictures with us. Thank you for those kind wishes, good things to have at this beginning of our entrance into the new year. Best wishes for a happy new year to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may have been cold, but it sounds like the perfect day to visit the lake. Beautiful picture. Wishing you and your family the best in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picture and I will bet you created a great memory for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the lovely wishes and the breathtaking picture! I haven't been getting outside lately, even though I know I should. Maybe tomorrow I'll venture out. Definitely not as cold in my part of the world. I agree with you that sunsets are never fully captured, but yours is beautiful! Wishes for a wonderful new year, Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terje: Your ending wish made me tear-up. I could especially use health, peace and beautiful surprises in 2016. It's been a tough year. Wishing you all of that and more in 2016. From my corner of the world to yours, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...to see the beauty of peace." If only more people could see that, Terje, I think we would all live in a much better world. Happy New year to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an adventure! Even with the doubts and a resistant child you soldiered on to such a lovely ending. Thank your for your beautiful pictures and descriptions. Thank you for sharing the gifts of your experience and this life.

    ReplyDelete