Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2015

Celebrate this week: graduation

Discover. Play. Build.




The highlight of this week, and I would say the highlight of this year, is my second daughter Kerstin's high school graduation. 

Fly high, the doors are open, the world is full of opportunities - these words were almost in every speech I heard at my daughter's graduation. I am pretty sure something similar was said to me when I graduated 25 years ago, and to my first daughter who graduated a year ago. I really don't remember. 

The strange thing is that the high school graduation time is the one time when you feel you are accomplished and super smart and you own the world. You can celebrate through the night with all your energy.

Then you set on a new journey and you discover that you don't know much at all and the learning has barely begun. The number of choices and decisions, the amount of work, the duties and responsibilities suddenly grow. It may become scary. But when you can keep the awe, the joy and the appreciation, when you nurture the positive relationships around you, when you remember to be kind to yourself and others, when you discover your passion and figure out how to contribute to the world, everything is going to work out more than fine. 

If I had given this speech, Kerstin would have listened with polite silence, nodded, and then went off living her life as she sees right, making her own choices as she has done since her childhood. 

It was her choice to switch schools at seventh grade to a more rigorous school, which she graduated yesterday with silver medal. It has been her choice to explore chemistry and programming in more depth, taking part in state competitions, and based on her results she already has been accepted to the top university in Estonia. With quiet determination, self-confidence, and dedication Kerstin has already proven to be a successful learner and a strong personality. She is ready to leave home.

I don't want to let go but I have to. 

The end of one significant journey is at the same time the beginning of real life. Now is the time to figure out who she is and how she is going to create her life. 


With the power of mother's love I wish her the best. 

11 comments:

  1. It was wonderful to read about Kerstin. She sounds strong and courageous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful tribute and most importantly a mother's love of her daughter. Thank you for sharing. Best of luck to Kerstin her world awaits her :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the kind of mother you are, I'm sure her journey will be less scary, less lonely, and less misguided! Congrats to you two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to Kerstin!! Celebrating all of her hard work is a beautiful moment!! Such an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh- how bittersweet. No doubt she has taken to heart all of the lessons in your "speech" to her, since you have been modeling them to her. The work of a mother is woven carefully, so carefully into the fabric of her children that sometimes, even though you can't see the work, you know that it is there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful girl you've got there. Congrats! She is her own person in large part beause has listened more than you realize. Here's to keeping the awe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to Kerstin and her mother! She is beautiful, Terje. My son is in the same life turn as she is. So much awaits for both of them...exciting yet quite daunting too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kerstin sounds like a powerhouse! I can tell how proud you are of her. Beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a wise momma. "I don't want to let go, but I have to." This line made a lump in my throat. It is hard to let go, even when you have so much to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got a lump too and a few tears. What a beautiful post. It's true, we have to let them go and as you say create their life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to both mother and daughter! You really do have much to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete