Pages

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Celebrate: this and that and something else

Discover. Play. Build.

Ruth Ayres invites people to share a celebration every Saturday. Thinking back to a week you can pick anything - small or big - to celebrate. Thank you for the invitation, Ruth!


Can yo imagine that you come home on Friday and discover that you have no internet connection and won't have it  for the next five days? You cringe your teeth because you have become so accustomed to this privilege that you take it has human rights. You could go around moaning about it or discover the benefits of real life without virtual distractions. 
I had to go through this experience. As much as I was sad for not having internet, I took advantage of the situation and last weekend finished all my report comments (the week before I chose to clean windows instead of writing), read a whole book (The Bullet, unexpected plot, well-written text), and watched a large-scale, multi-age, out-door dance and gymnastics performance.  
For the summer I deliberately plan a withdrawal from internet. 

Have you ever been called a nerd? This was one word I never associated with myself, but recent conversations with people show that I can honorably wear this title. Apparently not everyone reads all the time, nor goes around recommending books to others. My recent favorites, besides the book mentioned above, include Positive Discipline (being a mom of three and having 20 years of teaching experience leaves still plenty of room for learning and improvement), Dear Committee Members (unusual structure, witty, funny, superb word choice) and Tove Jansson's Biography (honest, engaging, touching.)
My latest read came to me surprisingly. One day after school a sixth grade girl (who used to be in my third grade class) came to my door. She was excited to share with me that she had recently went to listen to Sarah Kay (THE Sarah Kay)  and got a a book signed by her. She wondered if I would be interested to read the poem book too. Yes, yes, yes.

Do you sometimes think that you are crazy because you became a teacher? I do. Especially at the end of year. Especially with a challenging class. Especially when the students still choose to act and speak in a way I know they know is not right. Nevertheless I hope that with my words and actions I have managed to install a tiny memory chip in their subconscious, and one day in the midst of want-need-should-could conflict it activates and they think before they act, and they choose kind. 
I can consider it a progress when the greatest tattletaler starts his complaint with, "First, the good thing is..." or the loudest blurter finishes his outburst with, "Sorry, I know it's inappropriate." 

So what do I celebrate today? I love to finish with a meaningful memorable phrase, but today it feels very much that I celebrate this and that and something else. Which is to say that sometimes I don' know what the celebration is about but I just wish to show up and share a glimpse of my life, in a hope that I get a glimpse of other people's life in return, and the writing and reading adds value to our lives. 


14 comments:

  1. This and that...just show up. I'm glad you showed up today. So did I. There is value in that. I also think I need to take a day or two off line. I love to read, but I am distracted by all the great blog posts to read. I think I will take your advice and have at least one day this week with no internet and just see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger, I considered "nerd" to be something bad. Now I consider it a badge of honor, just like you. :) I appreciate your words about your students as well. I never thought of having tattlers begin their tattle with "The good thing is..." As tattling has a tendency to run rampant at times, I think I will have to steal that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read. I love to teach. I so appreciated this post! Enjoy summer's joys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you show up and share. Beautiful pic. I keep reading about people withdrawing . . . maybe I'll venture there this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your thoughts at the end of this post - there is so much learning as we all share pieces of our lives in celebration of all of the learning and growing and feeling that we do every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here are my this and that reactions....
    You have inspired my reading selections in the past so thank you for these recos (from one nerd to another).
    And...
    Isn't the "this and that" the lovely part of life? Collecting the randomness could be essential to celebrating.
    And...
    I feel you in this hope... "managed to install a tiny memory chip in their subconscious" as I welcome the "glimpse" into your life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terje, it is commendable that you found peace in being unplugged. I think back on the time when I would just slow the pace and sit and read for hours. Now there seems to be so much hurry and urgency in this world. I like that you gave us a glimpse of your life with a little this and that. There is a flavor of camaraderie at Celebrate This Week so listening to each others' celebrations is pleasurable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful. I thought I was the only one losing my mind with my class right now. I have been called a nerd and wear the title with pride. As for the internet, we lost it for one day last weekend and it turned out just fine. I like your plan to take an internet break this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes just showing up is a celebration in and of itself! And I am so glad you did! By the way, I did not see the bug in the picture at first...quite a sneaky little guy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terje, this is so true. When the celebration does not find US, sharing US is what we can do. I love that idea! {Perhaps it'st he 5 days without internet that has you doing all this reflective thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terje, this is so true. When the celebration does not find US, sharing US is what we can do. I love that idea! {Perhaps it'st he 5 days without internet that has you doing all this reflective thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean, sometimes I don't know what I want to celebrate, but I love showing up on this link up any way. Also - I am a proud nerd, too. No excuses, and I love the label.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And there you still managed to end with something very meaningful, "I just wish to show up and share a glimpse of my life, in a hope that I get a glimpse of other people's life in return, and the writing and reading adds value to our lives." Love it!

    ReplyDelete