Pages

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Rabbit and prunes



A slice from a PD week in Amsterdam

Once again all the participants of a workshop were gathered to listen to a workshop leader. Lot of stretching after sitting. Lot of yawning to fight the lack of air. Lot of ideas swimming in the air.

Small groups had already identified issues to tackle.
Long lists of possible solutions were hanging around the room.
We viewed the solutions from different perspectives.
We forced them to fit metaphorical thinking.
We tried SCAMPER - substitute, combine, adapt, modify/magnify, put to another use, eliminate, reverse/rearrange.

Keeping an open mind, not being afraid to sound silly, we followed the instructions in solving hypothetical problems of imaginary school leaders, realizing that in real life situation we would never try to squeeze the creative problem solving into few hours.

"Next we are going to use "Rabbit with prunes" technique," the workshop leader points to yet another chart paper.

My mind on its creative mode conjures images of a Peter the Rabbit running through a garden stealing three prunes from a farmer.

"This term comes from a traditional Dutch holiday meal of a rabbit cooked with prunes," the workshop leader continues.

Like a cold shower this explanation washes away my illustrations. The new image of a cooked rabbit makes me shiver. Yet, it makes more sense.

The assignment/recipe is to

  • choose one good, intriguing idea (the rabbit)
  • combine it with other ideas (the prunes)
Off we go to complete the final task before released to the fresh spring air of Amsterdam.

Even if the day did not produce any tangible results my brain got plenty of exercise and I have a fresh culinary technique to use in my classroom.

9 comments:

  1. I like your version of the rabbit/prunes better than the instructor's assignment. This is not a holiday meal that I ever had at my Dutch grandparent's home. I know they never ate rabbit. Perhaps this is one tradition they left in Holland when they came to the U.S. (for that I'm glad.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say it would have been better to ditch the workshop and hang in the streets of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had professional development overload. I wonder if the rabbit with prunes idea worked to frame your creative problem solving?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rabbit and prunes...I will have to remember this one, Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rabbit and prunes...I will have to remember this one, Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will not say what I thought when I hear 'rabbit and prunes', but. . . It's a funny way to approach things. I suspect that you'll have the kids rolling on the floor laughing. Thanks for sharing Terje, always interesting to hear new approaches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I think I may pass on that Rabbits and Prune idea (hahaha). I'd love to hear more about SCAMPER. Sounds very intriguing, Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I think I may pass on that Rabbits and Prune idea (hahaha). I'd love to hear more about SCAMPER. Sounds very intriguing, Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too was startled by the rabbit and prunes explanation. ;) I hope the fresh spring air of Amsterdam was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete