Read more slices at Two Writing Teacher Blog
Dear Friends,
I wish to apologize that I haven't been as present, mingling and communicating as I would have liked to be during this March festive writing gathering . You have been awesome sharing your stories and meeting at the Two Writing Teacher's blog. You have been very kind visiting my blog and leaving comments. I feel, no, I know, I haven't been as active in commenting as I should have.
Trust me, I have tried. But now I remember even more clearly why I was hesitant to join the challenge. The writing I can handle. I have become rather skillful in finding pockets of time to quickly type few scenes and thoughts (except for Sunday, when it was a luxury to write with a slow flow.) However finding the time to comment has become the biggest challenge. And with not commenting arrives the guilt. That's the hard part.
If you wonder what I have done (besides school and being mom), it's different things. Monday night it was a dance lesson, on Tuesday I was so tired that I went to bed before eight o'clock, on Wednesday I actually found time to comment, Yesterday my friend and I gave a lecture "How to support a young reader at home" to parents whose children go to first grade. How did it go? I don't know. It was a strange experience. So far I have given small workshops to parents and teacher, organized at my school, people actively participating and later giving feedback. Those have been satisfying, fulfilling experiences. Yesterday I was in a different school, didn't know anything about the background of the parents and just lectured. The lecture was fine, we spoke with passion and enthusiasm, shared what we know to be useful and helpful (availability, choice, environment, time, read aloud, games, encouragement, fun) in supporting children in becoming life-long readers. The people listened, but the Estonians don't show much reaction, nor do they ask questions or comment anything later. Nobody left, there was no side talk, some people took notes - I'll take that as a good sign. Today when I had planned to write a slice during my free period, our preschool teacher got sick so I had to help out during the lunch and getting them dressed for outside break. Those pre-schoolers are small. And cute. And bouncy as electrons. My respect to all preschool teachers. So now, when lessons are over, when I had planned to comment, I try to get my slice done. When I close the computer, I will go, meet with my husband for dinner and theatre. My two daughters (10 and 18) are home and won't see us until after ten o'clock.
Sorry, this came out in one breath. I just wanted to know that you have been on my mind. I truly want to come and spend time with you, listen/read your stories, respond and participate in the conversation. Forgive me and don't count me out.
Love you,
Terje

There is nothing more refreshing than honesty. I loved your post.
ReplyDeleteI find that commenting is the hardest part of the challenge too, especially with more and more slicers. Yet, I also know how important comments are for all of us! It's fuel for the writing. (I also thought of writing an apology letter!)
ReplyDeleteI try and visit my slicing friends, those I know in person and those I know online from years of slicing. And then I try to venture out. I try to read a new slice or two. But with so many ... it's difficult! I am a connection person. I need to feel connected -- connected to the person or connected to the slice. Then time is an issue too. I don't have the time to read many lengthy slices -- that's why I prefer short, succinct slices.
Please no apologies. You do only what you can. Set a goal for yourself -- at least 3. Maybe 3 old slicers and 3 new slicers. My other "fear" is missing out! I don't want to miss out on any amazing slices! Oh the challenge in it all.
We'll do our best. :) That's all we can ask for. Just know you are not alone.
I don't think there is a person who is sharing that is not going thru a lot of what you described (although it is easier to comment when you are retired and have more free time). I enjoy reading and commenting on your slices. Thanks for taking the time to share. Don't feel guilty and don't quit writing.
ReplyDeleteHow true your words are. I find that during this month my computer is turned on all day and whenever I pass it I take a few minutes to sit, read, and comment. I often find that I do not get done what I need to do and should do. Al others have said, don't feel guilty. We can only do so much. Keep posting. I enjoy reading what you write.
ReplyDeleteJust keep writing. I think throughout the challenge, the amount of commenting will go up and down depending on the free time we have, etc. Some days we will only get in a few, other days a lot more. I feel guilty because sometimes I read but don't always have a specific comment.
ReplyDeleteThis is the difficulty of this month. Don't worry, if you don't comment, I know you will be back when you have time. You know I will be back too. Enjoy the theater!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness...it's like you saw into my mind. I am feeling the same way!!! Commenting and keeping up is so hard for me too and I am also plagued with guilt!!!!! You are not alone. I echo what Michelle said above. Do you best. That's enough! (I say those words for me too! Hahaha!) Thank you for your honesty and expressing something so many of us are feeling!
ReplyDeleteDitto to all comments. There are so many slicers this year, it is hard to keep up. Just know that I appreciate any time you stop by.
ReplyDeleteOh Terje, I think we all feel a little (or more) guilty when we don't comment. I had no Internet one night. Fell asleep another night. I am trying to comment on a few posts in the morning as i can't comment at school. So if I don't get to your blog every day, know that I am thinking about you often. Want to meet in UK this summer?
ReplyDeleteYou are so thoughtful to write this letter. Everyone understands. You are wonderful. Hug.
ReplyDelete