Pages

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Day 31: all of this has been said before


Today is the last day of a month long writing challenge.
You can read many slices and reflections at Two Writing Teacher blog.


You all have probably met The Inner Critic, the one living in your head, trying to stop you form writing. From the start of this challenge my inner critic has been loud and annoying.

"You shouldn't accept the challenge, you don't have time."
A valid point. Anyone in their right mind wouldn't try to squeeze daily writing into their fully packed days of work and family life. I have discovered that writers need to be a bit crazy. I shush the inner critic and write.

"Your will run out of ideas."
Regular writing has shown me that inspiration is all around. You can keep lists, collect mentor texts, steal and borrow ideas, write quickly without thinking, take photos, look around, write more lists, use prompts, fill in sentence starters, follow given structures,  experiment with different writing exercises, write few more lists. I shush the inner critic and write.

"Your writing is average."
This loud comment rings in my ears. La-la-la-la, I sing over it. I know that I need to write to become better at writing. Besides I am not entering any writing competitions, so who is going to judge? Playing with words is part of the fun. When the texts gain beauty, the joy grows. I shush the inner critic and write.

"Your life is ordinary."
Yes. Isn't it great? I have an ordinary life.  I don't need drama and excitement. I prefer the sweet small moments. I love my life with its ups and downs, twists and turns, quiet and loud, messy and pretty.I wouldn't trade it for anything. I shush the critic and write.

"All what you are saying has been said before."
No argument here. It doesn't mean that I have to stop writing. If I would follow your logic I should never make Tiramisu because people have made it before. Besides, did you notice that all you are saying, my inner critic, has been said before. Shush, and go try writing.

I shushed my inner critic and wrote thirty one days in a row. Now I'm ready to join my fellow slicers in the grand celebration of finishing the month long writing challenge.

Hurray!





17 comments:

  1. Way to go, Terje! Once again we have completed this challenge and used it as an opportunity to shush that inner critic and enjoy what we have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved how you shot down that Inner Critic so forcefully! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you met that Inner Critic at the door and sent her away. She has no business in your head or life. You must write and it must be about your life because that is the only one we have and we have to make the most of it. So congratulations Terje, another year completed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Inner Critic visits now and again. I think our concerted effort in writing daily scared them all away. Congratulations Terje!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you shushed your inner critic and wrote. I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to more Tuesday slices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo! You did it and I love your conversation to prove that you did it with panache.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you, Terje - begone inner critic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you, Terje - begone inner critic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep shushing and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am SO glad you shushed your inner critic even though I can''t possible imagine why you had to do that! You are a masterful writer and keep me reading all year through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am SO glad you shushed your inner critic even though I can''t possible imagine why you had to do that! You are a masterful writer and keep me reading all year through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so grateful that you told your inner critic to SHUT UP!!! Your voice is strong and I would have missed it very much! CELEBRATING with you today!!! YAY!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "I have discovered that writers need to be a bit crazy." Doesn't history alone prove this? So glad to be writing with you and sharing this journey's ups and downs with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All valid arguments, all rejected beautifully. I especially love "your life is ordinary" & that you are happy about that. Me too, & it seems to me that finding beauty in the ordinary is something to celebrate big time. See you on Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so glad you shushed your critic. I can't imagine a March without you in it! Here's to ordinary lives!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfection. Again. There are no other words to describe the beauty of your words whether it be ordinary or crazy or otherwise. I love coming here, it's like being invited to your sofa in your kitchen for a cup of tea (and a little chocolate too), and chatting like old friends. Laughing and commiserating over our silly insecurities and inner critics. Thank you for being you, Terje. I couldn't keep going on without you here. See you tomorrow? {wink} Or perhaps next Tuesday. I'll be looking for you!

    Hugs my friend.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you shush the inner critic!
    You are strong and helpful.

    Favorite line... "I prefer the sweet small moments. I love my life with its ups and downs, twists and turns, quiet and loud, messy and pretty."

    ReplyDelete