Read more slices at Two Writing Teachers
I navigate through the traffic of a school cafeteria and find a seat next to my colleagues. Trying to ignore the cacophony of cafeteria chatter-clatter I lean in to make sense of the conversation. Exercise is the topic.
"If I had all the time in the world..." starts a fourth grade teacher.
Laughter erupts before she gets to finish her sentence. Teacher and having time sound funny together.
"I mean IF I had all the time in the world I would add some weight lifting to my week, just to tone the muscles not to grow them," dreams the petite thirty something Japanese woman, who currently gives Zumba once a week at school, takes ballet twice a week, and teaches Tango classes on the weekends.
"If I had all the time in the world, I would stay home and read, read, read," I confess, the forty something Estonian woman, content with weekly ballroom dancing and Zumba.
"I once read a quote - I sometimes get the urge to exercise, but I lay down and wait it to pass," shares a student's shadow assistant, a twenty something American guy, who runs, goes to gym regularly and is looking for a personal trainer.
Another burst of laughter bounces between us before we continue sharing our exercise experiences.
I don't share how difficult it is to keep the habit of exercise. A cozy couch, the warmth of a fleece, the company of a book have such a strong pull compared to the huffing and puffing, I'm out of breath and energy, sweating and sore of moving one's body. I know that my two colleagues, like many other people in the world, have managed to make exercise as part of their being, training for health and fun, their bodies yearning for movement as much as they need oxygen for breathing.
The muscle I like to exercise the most is my reading brain. I wasn't kidding when I said that if I had all the time in the world I would read, read, read. It's a pity reading doesn't shed calories and keep one's body fit.

I do agree...it is a pity that reading doesn't shed calories. Oh well...it does make for a fit brain. I know it is all about balance....and I admire those who really have a routine of exercise....I do my best, but find a nice walk satisfies me. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteI'm in your camp for form of exercise. I have a hard time getting motivated to do any exercise consistently. I need to get back out on my bike, but I don't enjoy it when it is cold or too windy. Guess I'll curl up with a book on those days.
ReplyDeleteOf course reading is exercise. Holding a book has to count as weight training. some of those books are pretty heave. Turning pages requires movement - more exercise.
ReplyDeleteI have always felt guilty for "just" reading. I need to combine it with something - eating, walking, sitting in the car waiting for something. I'm the kind of reader who runs into things because I'm walking with my phone reading email, blogs, facebook, twitter. I'm kind of loving the idea of curling up on the couch with a good book though. I need deadlines and reading partnerships or clubs to feel like I can "just" read. unless I'm on break. Maybe I'll rethinkn that!
ReplyDelete