Pages

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

How do you present yourself?

Read more slices at Two Writing Teachers

A purple crayon in my hand I stare at an empty paper. What exactly am I supposed to draw here? My neighbor on the right is intensively rubbing her yellow crayon onto the left corner of her paper. My neighbor on the left draws blue waves. An assignment "Draw what you wish. Let us get to know you better" at a beginning of a course is not clear enough for me. Drawing is certainly more interesting and memorable way to get people talking and learning about each other than just listing a name, job and duties. But I don't know what to draw. My hobbies? What is important to me? Dreams and fears?
I understand that the task has no right or wrong answers but it still makes me feel uncomfortable. Is this how my students feel sometimes? Is it my personality that doesn't like the limitless freedom? Do I worry about not being creative and original? Why does this bother me?
To the 18 educators in the room I wish to show myself as a professional. How do you do that with the purple crayon? I guess this time I won't include a tea cup, a strawberry, a chocolate bar, a giraffe or dance shoes. Or may be this is exactly what I should draw to show that I am more than a teacher.
In November we had a discussion about cultural identity at a staff meeting. Now I am still faced with a similar question of how to introduce myself. Maybe if I had taken more time to think about it I wouldn't feel stuck on this drawing.
To be on a safe side I start sketching the faces of my family and a pile of books. These are followed by dozen question marks. I could stop here. These could represent both my curiosity and confusion. There is still plenty of time. I include several arrows from the center to the edges of the paper - this is the pull of different duties. To balance it out I draw a heart with a happy face.  Puzzle pieces show how sometimes the pieces of our lives are scattered and sometimes fit together perfectly. Before the time is up I include my midnight thought bulb.
I look at my picture. "So this is who you are today," I quietly greet myself.


What would you have drawn on your paper?


12 comments:

  1. Love your description, I have such an image of your image in my head!! I don't know what I would have drawn, but I know I would have felt uncomfortable with such an open-ended task.

    Love your line, "I quietly greeted myself." Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so not good at drawing, but as I read your post, the letter W came to my mind. Perhaps I could make it into a tree that would represent all the different parts of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ice breaker that you describe is so interesting to me as a consultant. Tomorrow, I am working with a few new groups of teachers and will ask them to create their OLW. I tried this last week with great results. Even the sketches that accompanied the activity were telling. Your sketch is so reflective. Puzzle pieces to fit. Words like pull, blance it out, scattered, fit, curiosity, and confusion are simply put together into a profound piece. Concise. Well-done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh - that's an interesting exercise - one in which you learn just as much as the people viewing your "portrait". Love the way you added that lightbulb, too. Always thinking, Terje, always thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy would I have a difficult time with this assignment. Not only can I not draw, I have a difficult time being creative on the spur of the moment. This really is an interesting ground breaker. With a purple crayon I would probably have drawn a purple cow to go along with the rhyme, "I never saw a purple cow..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post reminds me of the struggle that Anna had in HOW TO OUTRUN A CROCODILE WHEN YOUR SHOES ARE UNTIED when her art teacher assigned her a project to create her "true self" and she didn't know what to do. Like you, her masterpiece came together in the end. Keep drawing! :)

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find your final two sentences most revealing. Yes, we do change who we are daily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. I despise activities like this. I would need more time. I would say "I can't draw." I'd be making excuses. (Yep. Sounds like many students I know!) Love the questions marks of curiosity and confusion! (You are so clever!) I'd add: And the 'what ifs'!

    Bravo for jumping in -- my only wish ... you included a photograph of your picture of who you are today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love when we are placed in moments to remember what it's like to be a student. We all question ourselves and wonder what our neighbor is doing, drawing, thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, I love the thinking you shared...love the confusion and curiosity questions...I love that you had walking in the new shoes of the uncomfortable. You wore them well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved how you used this to think about your students. These kinds of exercises can be so challenging at times. Great post.

    ReplyDelete