
Ruth Ayres invites people to share a celebration every Saturday. Thinking back to a week you can pick anything - small or big - to celebrate. Thank you for the invitation, Ruth!
I celebrate recommended reading
Have you read OECD Trends Shaping Education 2013 publication?
Though at first glance this publication seems like a reading for politicians and officials I would recommend it as a reading for teachers. I had to read it for a course along with Estonian Lifelong Learning Strategy 2020.
Caught in the loop of yearly, weekly, daily planning a teacher can easily inhabit a personal or school-wide education bubble, loosing sight of the bigger picture. These broader perspectives, visions of the future challenges force to reflect and evaluate school's and personal philosophy and teaching practices.
I consider myself very lucky to work at a IBO PYP school. Our mission and vision look into the future in the global context. Our school culture, curriculum, and approach to learning support the development of a whole child, helping them to become independent, responsible, caring and reflective individuals who are willing to take action. We are not perfect but reading the documents showed me that we are strongly on the right track.
On my way to and back from the course I read a book that had been recommended to me several times. Many books had passed it on my TBR pile. Humble and patient, it waited. A recent #pypchat lifted it to the top. Opposite to the global trends official texts it invites a reader to a classroom of a caring and passionate teacher. It's not a traditional PD book. Mary Cowhey tells us stories of her first and second grade students making sense of life and taking action to change the world. The documents made me think, the book touched my heart. The book is inspirational. One can't package and sell what Mary Cowhey did. She is one of a kind. One can, however, think deeply what, how and why she/he does in the classroom. The stories encourage to be aware of the issues around us, think critically of truths presented, consider various perspectives, be open-minded and open-hearted, and most of all to believe that young children are capable of understanding and doing more than we often expect.
I celebrate recommended reading.
I pass on the recommendations to you.
Your line, "Caught in the loop of yearly, weekly, daily planning a teacher can easily inhabit a personal or school-wide education bubble, loosing sight of the bigger picture," made me smile from ear to ear! It's so easy to get caught up in what we HAVE to do that we forget the bigger picture. New teachers trying to survive each day and more experienced ones trying to lead the way each have so much on their plates that we CAN lose sight of where we are going. SO, I will take your recommendation, order the book, and just maybe, offer a wee bit of a discussion group about it at my school! THANKS for the recommendation.
ReplyDeleteTerje,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the recommendation. I will look into it. I agree with Anita about your line on losing sight of the bigger picture...will all need to reset our sights sometimes (reminder accepted).
Losing sight of the bigger picture. Yes. Thank you! I've seen this book before. Thank you for sharing more about it, it's one I peek at; circle in catalogs; and never order. I will now. Your excitement for this book is easy to read here. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteTerje, This book sounds amazing! I prefer books when I get to read the story and figure out how to incorporate it into my own teaching. Thank you for the much needed reminder to see things through a bigger lense...outside our classroom and school! :) Great recommendations!
ReplyDeleteIt does seem like in our schools we are so focused on standards and testing that our students will not know how to be caring, compassionate citizens. Yes, sadly we are losing sight of the big picture. We need more stories of encouragement and hope. On a personal level, that is why I love SOL and Celebrations.
ReplyDeleteThank you Terje! This sounds like a perfect read for me right now. we are looking at social issues and what we can do about them. Breeding compassion is a big part of our jobs. I second Leigh Anne's comment!
ReplyDeleteOh my I now want this book. Sold. Thanks for your words!
ReplyDeleteI love all that you shared, Terje, will pass the book title on to colleagues, too! The book sounds wonderful, even applied to my middle schoolers! I like this: "reading the documents showed me that we are strongly on the right track." Hope you're celebrating that too!
ReplyDelete