Pages

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Celebrate this week

Discover. Play. Build.



I have been writing comments for report cards today. I have discovered this year at school that I probably do more than necessary. (And yet, it still feels as if I am not doing enough.) It's very likely I shouldn't spend so many hours on writing reports and making them so long and detailed. But no one has recently commented on how much is needed, so I go with my gut feeling and keep writing. To be honest, our school hasn't surveyed the parents for years, to find out how they feel about the reports and whether they find them informative and useful. Many of the things I write about, the parents know already because I speak to them regularly and they have seen the student work. However, if I sit down to write reports I can't write general nothing-saying short blurbs. I wish the comments to be specific, reflecting each child's attitudes, behavior, habit, skills, knowledge and growth with some advice on how to support the child with achieving her/his goals. I have discovered that writing reports is a writing genre that I have certainly become much more skillful than years ago. 
I had set a goal to get my reports finished today. I didn't achieve the goal. I still have literacy comments to write.
Nevertheless, I decided to take a break and celebrate with you. Of many things I pick just two. 
First, I celebrate that I have been writing all day without procrastinating. (I only took few snack, stretch and bathroom breaks, and checked my Twitter feed and email only once.) I will get the reports done tomorrow. My family has been most understanding, escaping home, letting me do my work. They know that I write better during a long intensive period of time rather in small chunks. 

Second, I celebrate something exciting from this week. Mimm was part of a community musical "Snow White and Seven Dwarfs." She was one of the seven dwarfs. They had six performances over two days. It was a big show with performers of different ages, many groups of dancers, full costumes and top notch light and sound technology. 
Mimm was very nervous when she was offered this role. She practiced a lot. She was marvelous on the stage. 

Acting with expression and clear voice.

The performance didn't take place just on the stage. The other spaces were in use also. Since Mimm passed us so close, my sis was able to take this pic.

The seven dwarfs after the show.

You can imagine what a fun it was to see the musical in the middle of a busy week. The end of the year to-do-lists loose their urgency when something thrilling like this shows up. So good for the soul.

I hope that you all have a chance to get what you need done and at the same time enjoy some emotionally fulfilling breaks from the busy and demanding.

9 comments:

  1. I hope your parents appreciate those thoughtful comments, Terje, because they should! I've had a few parents tell me it was good for their child to see the comments, but usually not many. Love seeing those pictures of Mimm. Nearly everyone has shared about a performance this week-guess it's the time of year! Have a good rest of the weekend finishing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't it feel so good when you get started right away on a task and plug away until you're finished? I tend to procrastinate terribly on grading and end up feeling like I have blocked energy for other tasks simply because I'm not getting to the thing I most need to do. Good luck finishing them. I know that many parents and children will appreciate your thoughtful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too hope the families not only appreciate but let you know that they appreciate those reports. It is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your report card commenting sounds like a labor of love! The pictures of Mimm are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pictures of the musical! What fun. You must of been so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know your parents appreciate all you say. It is time consuming, but worth it for the parent and the child. I love how you've found this kind of writing to be a genre. In my district we have automated comments. We can't enter our own. I hate that! I have to spend all my time searching for the comment that fits the child rather than finding the right words from my heart. Thanks for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great experience for your Mimm! It looks like a lot of fun. Narrative report cards always took a long time for me too. I remember spreading things out on the futon, shutting the door to the office and staying locked in while I tackled them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Writing without procrastinating. That is a fabulous celebration! I am a great procrastinator myself. And hats off to Mimm! That's fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your heart must have been overflowing when you were watching her!

    ReplyDelete