Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Where is the learning curve?


Read more slices at Two Writing Teachers

I hope that nobody sees me, a thought races through my mind as I climb my classroom's windowsill and open it. A gust of wind lifts few math reflection sheets and they flutter to the ground.
I know I look silly, and to think of it, act silly too. I kneel and lean a bit sideways, lift my camera and zoom it to the top of a maple tree against the sky. I don't want anyone to see this. I wouldn't know how to explain why I am taking photos of a tree and sky in the middle of the fifth period, when kids are in Music and I should be sorting and putting away papers, part of which have landed on the floor.
Would they understand that I have joined a project to take photos of gratitude for a whole month? Would it make sense to them that I am sincerely grateful to see the colors of the tree and all the light of the sun? Fall can be rainy and dark in Estonia. Would they realize that I am happy because I lifted my eyes and looked above the ugliest brick wall ever that is my usual view? Maybe they would understand if I said I was learning to take photos.
I turn off the camera, close the window, climb down, pick up the papers and put my camera away. The downloading of photos has to wait.
I don't know whether these photos have captured what I saw without the camera. On Saturday my sis and I laughed that all the sea pictures I had taken would be with a slanted horizon, and they were. On every single picture the sea and the sky were tilted. I had to straighten and crop the pictures to be able to share with others.
I have found that having theoretical knowledge (I admit I have read several posts a'la how to take stunning pics) does not easily transfer to practice. I understand the idea of light, background and composition. Nevertheless, the shadows and silly details like a lonely sock, or a dirty window, laugh back once I view my pics on the laptop. I have not got very far with taking pics of people and action. I like to stick to the bit advice my sis gave to me - take close up pics and then share them big - and this has worked well so far.
One would think that compared to painting and writing taking photos is easy. All you need is a click of a button. But it is not. Like anything else it takes patience and tons of practice to have pleasing outcomes. Occasionally lovely pictures just happen.



8 comments:

  1. I chuckled as I read your words. I was outside in my robe taking pictures of rain droplets on my plants last week, also hoping no one would see me. I love the mixture of green, yellow, and gold - thanks for climbing on the windowsill to capture this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture is beautiful but I am sure it does not do justice to actually being there and seeing it firsthand. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are always stunning. I envy the sharpness of your close ups. I bet anyone walking by your classroom would understand why you were in that position. In fact, thy probably would join you on the ledge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect pictures don't just happen... kinda reminds me about how it takes a lot of slow to grow with writing (or with anything). Love the stunning one you shared with us today, Terje.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful fall colors against a blue sky....no one could think you silly for taking time to catch that with your camera. I am interested in the pictures you took at the sea, so hope you post those some time. Photography is an art and you have done well. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a stunning picture, Terje! So excited to see where this project will take you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pic - the colors of the leaves are truly amazing. You may have "looked" silly taking this pic, but the outcome was well worth it. As you said, it takes lots of practice to take perfect pics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would consider you an expert photographer after seeing photograph after photograph of beauty. (And a really great camera helps too!) Don't worry about others ... go on and take your pictures. No explanation needed -- your photos are enough! Looking forward to seeing your gratitude photos throughout the month!

    ReplyDelete