Read more slices at Two Writing Teachers
Not sure whether this was a sign of professionalism or a sign of something else but I was super excited on Saturday evening to sit in my living room, in a small village in Estonia, with a laptop and I-Pad both open and ready to join an online PD opportunity. The lovely yellow sign of The EdCollab Gathering invitingly smiled at me.
On the positive side and as a justification on my choice I can say that my hubby and youngest daughter were not at home, my oldest daughters can take care of themselves, this kind of opportunity rarely happens. Usually most webinars happen at 4 a.m, nor can I join any conferences that take place in US.
Here I was, headphones on and fingers ready to tweet. I also had some slices of fancy cheese for nibbling and a tissue to wipe my fingers.
I was ready.
When Christopher Lehman started speaking it felt like an old friend returned. I had had a thrilling learning experience with TeacherPoets in the spring.
When Donalyn Miller started speaking I had chills going down my spine. There was no way to imagine when I was a child that as an adult I would have a famous literary mentor, author whose books I have read, smiling and speaking in my living room. The magic of technology combined with a gracious gift of talented people made it possible.
Did Donalyn know I was there? No. She doesn’t even know that I exist, nor that I suggested her books to our Middles School English teacher and she rearranged her whole program inspired by Donalyn’s words. Donalyn may have not known that I was listening to her on Saturday but I hope that she had a little electronic map where the different countries lit up to show her the international audience.
I listened to her and realized that I need to add more non-fiction books to my classroom library, from different perspectives, topics, authors, and countries. Our school is doing a pretty good job when it comes to units of inquiry. We abandoned textbooks years ago and replaced them with various resources including non-fiction books. We have grown our library, but my job would be to have more non fiction as read aloud and student choice.
I guess it goes in circles. We had a year when we added chapter books, then poetry books, then picture books, for next year I will order non fiction books. I have my list started thanks to the help of Donalyn Miller. I need to make sure that the suggestions of students will be included too, because ultimately the library is for them not me.
What I think Donalyn Miller does best is to invite the teachers to reflect on their practices, preferences and habits as a reader.
Then the gathering became tricky. I had to choose. In each session there were 4 workshops. Even with two ears and two eyes one can listen and watch only one workshop at a time. What made choosing easier was the knowledge that all workshops are accessible later.
I followed four workshops.
First of all I was impressed how passionate and well-organized all presenters were. It was easy to follow what they said, they kept the audience thinking along and left us with ideas for change and improvement. Of course there were moments to nod along and feel good that I am not too far off with what I do.
As I listened I realized that I am very lucky to work at a IBO PYP school. The center of everything is a learner profile, the kind of person we aspire to be and hope our students to become. We deliberately plan for learning opportunities that help the students acquire positive attitudes and learn trans-disciplinary skills. Reflection and metacognition are significant elements in the program. We have shaped our learning environment so that space, time and teachers allow student choice and encourage initiative.
At some point in my teaching I felt frustration with the planner that has become too detailed and in many ways repetitive asking for what opportunities are there for attitude or skill development, but now listening to Kristin Mraz I think that I probably have to take extra time to teach, name, explain, look for examples and comment on the behavior. The time is worth it even when it does not tie to math or language or inquiry scope and sequence. The facts may be forgotten but habits of mind and behavior are forever to have a full, successful and happy life as a friend, citizen, learner, and leader.
And while I was watching the workshops I was also tweeting and following what others tweeted.
I am not still sure I get Twitter but I am not going to give up on it. It was fascinating to see the tweets coming and ideas growing and changing. It was puzzling but powerful to feel connected with people on the other side of the world through this experience. I am only sad that I didn't have a chance to go out for a cup of tea with anyone later. On the positive side, I didn't go to a bookstore either as I had done the day before after another conference.
The whole experience with two tools open, watching and tweeting, was a bit surreal. So not like usual conferences or workshops. Nevertheless it ranks as highly useful and interesting learning experience.
Thank you to all the wonderful presenters!
I still can't get over it: Donalyn Miller was in my living room.


Your excitement is catching. Your words caught me right away and I was with you, taking part. I am so glad you had this opportunity . It sounds like you not only learned a lot, but you also were validated on what you do already. As for Twitter...I am with you....still haven't grasped it well, but working on it. Sounds like you are way ahead of me though. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteThe work the Educator Collaborative is doing, literally bringing PD to people on a weekend, is incredible. There aren't any travel expenses and it touches so many teachers' (and subsequently kids') professional lives in a positive way. Hoping to attend one in the future!
ReplyDeleteTechnology has opened up a whole new world for us. I had a chance to see and hear Donalyn Miller
ReplyDeletelast year at the Pennsylvania Council of Teachers of English and Language Arts conference... I even got to eat lunch and dinner with her. What an amazing person.
Donalyn came to my family room too, but I watched the archived version. Did you hear Chris name places around the world that were logged in? When he said Estonia, I knew you were there! What a great day it was and now I am watching the archives. I love how technology makes the world a smaller place!
ReplyDeleteWasn't that great! I am going to be living off of those archives for a long time!
ReplyDeleteLove your hook of Donalyn in your living room and the added detail of the cheese! Great piece and I too enjoyed PD in my home at my own pace. Thanks for retelling it with such voice and detail.
ReplyDeleteClare
I've bookmarked the archives, Terje, but so glad to hear that you were there & enjoyed it so much. Several have posted today; what a marvelous opportunity!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great experience! I love your title. I could listen to Chris Lehman all day. I plan to connect to the archive this weekend when the boys are away camping. Can't wait!
ReplyDeleteSaturday was great and I was not organized (only one device running) so I was not tweeting much but was learning alot! At times I felt like it was almost a private conversation! So glad that the time worked well for you! Enjoy learning with you!
ReplyDeleteThat is really exciting. It still gives me pause, to experience the smallness of the world made possible through technology. . .
ReplyDeleteIt is such a gift to us that these workshops were offered and then archived. I have watched Kristi Mraz and Kathy Collins so far. Amazing!
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like it was incredible! I like how you said she was in your living room!
ReplyDelete