Ruth Ayres invites people to share a celebration every Saturday. Thinking back to a week you can pick anything - small or big - to celebrate. Thank you for the invitation, Ruth!
On Tuesday in the comments for my SOL Bonnie asked, "BTW are you nervous about Russia talking tough?"
To be honest I have avoided thinking about Russia. Partly because I am busy thinking and living beginning of the school year life. Partly because it is easier to focus on what is in immediate surrounding. Partly because of a typical Estonian attitude that if Russia decides to attack, Estonia doesn't have a chance. The rich and the mighty might escape, the others will suffer. I don't believe in the promises of the politicians and large foreign agencies. So why worry? Instead one can continue drinking tea, eat muffins and go for walks. Life can be a berry when you let the belly button be the center of your universe.
I changed some of my thinking and attitude when I had a chance to listen to Barack Obama.
When I received the invitation, I wasn't too excited. I understood that our director and DP coordinator and DP students were invited. But why me and no other teacher from our school?
At first I thought of not attending. Knowing that the city would be closed for traffic I worried about getting to town. Then I realized that it was a honor to be invited and overall once in a life time opportunity to listen to a leader of a mighty country.
On Wednesday I was one of the 1500 sitting in the concert hall. There were politicians, ambassadors, soldiers, journalists, business people, culture people, school directors, and teachers. The large number of listeners were high school and university students.
I went with an interest but I wasn't ready that the speech would touch me emotionally. The president spoke about our history, picking in phrases that mattered to Estonians. He spoke about the importance of independent thinking, free press and democratic elections, of freedom and independence. He complimented Estonia for our success in free market, technological advances and innovative spirit.
I thought about the short independence my country had before the second world war and about how short is the 20 years we have been independent again; about the importance of education in keeping the freedom and democracy; how ignorance, greed and selfishness lead to conflicts, how lack of critical thinking leads to believing and following wrong information; about Malala, a girl who got shot because she spoke up for peace and the right for girls to get education; about the different wars in various countries where most of the people would simply like to learn, work and play; how precious is peace and how easily it's threatened.
When he started speaking about the Ukraine conflict, Russia, NATO and Estonia, he made it very clear that in case of a threat Estonia wouldn't be alone. This is what most Estonians needed to hear. The way the President said it and the words he spoke gave strong hope that Russia would not be able to repeat the history.
He spoke about the importance of hope. Here is one part that I would like to quote:
"In the face of violence that seems intractable and suffering that is so senseless, it is easy to grow cynical, and I think tempting to give in to the notion that peace and security may be beyond our grasp.
But I say to all of you here today, especially the young people, do not give into that cynicism. Do not lose the idealism and optimism that is the root of all great change. Don’t ever lose the faith that says, if we want it, if we are willing to work for it, if we stand together, the future can be different; tomorrow can be better. After all, the only reason we’re here today in a free and democratic Estonia is because the Estonian people never gave up."
He finished with instilling hope that dignity, democracy, freedom and justice will always win.
I knew that Barack Obama had prompters on the stage and that he had had help crafting the speech, but he spoke so eloquently and powerfully that it felt as if he was speaking from his heart. There were several moments when I clapped with the crowd or felt tears swelling in my eyes.
After hearing and seeing Obama I believe that if anything happens, Estonia will fight and not alone. I believe that the world will take action to support Ukraine. (Thankfully French decided to stop delivering Mistrals to Russia.) I believe, or strongly want to believe, that Putin will pull back and calm down.
I know that even when I try to hide hearing about the conflicts of the world I have an extremely important job as a teacher. Most of all because I help my students to grow into caring, open-minded, knowledgeable, principled, and reflective thinkers. They learn to look at things from different perspectives, to communicate in many ways and to solve conflicts peacefully. They will hopefully be willing to take risks to speak up and fight for what is right. I hope that they will grow into the future world leaders who work towards maintaining peace and everyone's right to have education and live with dignity.
I am so very lucky to live, work and raise my family in peace.
Today I celebrate PEACE!
![]() |
| A fuzzy picture from the start of the speech. |
If you wish to read or view the speech you can click on the link below:
Barack Obama's speech in Tallinn



What a wonderful opportunity for you! I thought about you when the news reported that Obama was in Tallin. Now I know you were there, awesome! I hope peace continues for all.
ReplyDeleteTerje, thank you for sharing about this. Of course, I had no idea you were there. I watch the news every day, and did think of you when I hear President Obama was there, I'm glad that he brought hope to you, and wish for peace just as you do. The turmoil occurring in so many places is sad, and worrisome, too. I like what you said most of all when you talked about your teaching, to help students embrace many perspectives.
ReplyDeleteOh Terje, how wonderful that you got to be there. Thank you for sharing this with us. I'll be thinking of you...
ReplyDeleteI will celebrate and hope/wish for Peace with you! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteTerje, thank you so much for sharing this. Your students are so lucky to have you as a model of embracing perspectives, hoping/celebrating peace, and embracing the important job we have as teachers to show the students our world. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteTerje,
ReplyDeleteThe news can be overwhelming, especially when it is happening so close to home. The fact that you focus on the peace that exists is the most important celebration. Fragile for us all. Celebrate now and hope for the future.
Thanks so much Terje for responding to my concern for you and your Estonians. I'm so glad you were inspired by our President. He is at his best when he lets himself go. Sadly, he did not stand with teachers, but let's hope he stands up to Putin.
ReplyDeleteSuch a beautiful reflection! I wish you peace as well.
ReplyDeleteJennifer
Sweet Writing Life
Mrs. Laffin's Laughings
"Life can be a berry when you let the belly button be the center of your universe." I love this line. You have a way of speaking so frankly about the way I feel. You take complex feelings and make them sound so simple and true. Then, you have a way of pushing me to think more deeply. It is a gift you give me each time I read your words. What an amazing perspective you have given us--our president through the eyes of a citizen of another country. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteOkay. This made me cry. I am so glad that you had this opportunity. We need to celebrate and cherish peace every day.
ReplyDeleteI will pray for peace and love for your country and for you too. I am glad you found encouragement in Barack Obama's speech.
ReplyDeleteMary-andering Creatively
This spoke so deeply.
ReplyDelete