Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Slice


Read more Slice of Life blogs at Two Writing Teachers

"What's for dinner?" is not my favorite question.
Occasionally I am super organized, have planned daily meals and instructed my hubby to go shopping armored with a detailed grocery list. More often it happens that the dinner question doesn't get answered until I have opened a fridge door and acquainted with the content of the fridge. 
"What's for dinner?" popped up yesterday on my way home. I let several meal options run through my head, but the only idea that stuck was a rhubarb pie, what does not count as a proper meal. At home when I stood holding the fridge door, I stared at the eggs, butter, jams, mustard, sour cream, grated cheese, carrots, broccoli, slices of ham, leek, zucchini, bread, tomatoes, two lemons, pickles, milk and cucumber. A rhubarb pie, a rhubarb pie, a rhubarb pie - but what else? Ratatouille? 
I made both - the vegetable mix and the rhubarb pie. Even though I hadn't pre-planned my weekly menu, the dinner turned out fine. More than fine. The pie was superb - a slightly almondy crust, tiny rhubarb slices and moist sour cream-egg filling. We ate it while it was still warm. 

"What should I write about?" is not my favorite question either. 
Ingredients for writing are easily available, there are many recipes to follow, I have plans in my journal,  but quite often on Tuesday evening I am staring at my computer screen not sure what I will "cook" together until my fingers start moving on the keyboard. 
"What should I write about?" nagged me all the way home, while cooking, walking, washing, packing for a trip, and clipping Mimm's nails. I hadn't picked the topic of my slice yet, but I knew what was for "dessert." Tulips, tulips, tulips. The pics are not exactly what I had envisioned and attempted to achieve, but the bright colors cheer me up, and I hope they bring some smiles to you. 
Sorry, that I couldn't share the rhubarb pie. ;)







17 comments:

  1. I adore tulips! And I really enjoyed the upbeat tone of your slice. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tulips are lovely, sure the pie was, too. I have a nephew who is getting married this month. The couple will move to Holland, Michigan to begin their new life. We are hoping next spring might bring a trip to a Tulip Festival there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures. I love tulips. I can't say the same for rhubarb pie. I've never tried it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum....I have not had a good rhubarb pie in a few years...and the almondy crust sounds really good. Thank you so much for the tulip pictures. I have given up on ever seeing my tulips...if I am lucky I see them for one day...and then the deer come for their meal. This year I only had stems...the deer got them early. :-) Well, now, maybe I will just have to make a rhubarb pie. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
    {\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
    {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red34\green34\blue34;\red255\green255\blue255;}
    \deftab720
    \pard\pardeftab720\partightenfactor0

    \f0\fs26 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
    \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 What's for dinner is a question I hate. I really hate it when I'm the one asking and answering it. All week long I wonder, search for that glimmer of a slice. Today I woke up wondering what I was going to write about. You have served up a savory slice today and gorgeous tulips to end it. I do wish I could have shared in that pie, I love rhubarb.}

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often go to bed Monday night wondering what I will write about Tuesday morning. I haven't had a good rhubarb pie in ages. I do admit, however, that I did mak a knock-out Jewish apple cake on Sunday. I have to get my daily serving of fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would've loved a slice of rhubarb pie, but I'll settle for the beautiful pictures of tulips. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hate the dinner question...I never have the right answer, am always too tired to cook, and therefore feel guilty. Rhubarb pie is my husband's favorite, and I haven't made that in years...more guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two very similar questions and one that is asked daily (by hubby - so that he knows what to cook) and the other on Monday night. My slice was much the same - what to write. Wish I could have had a piece of that rhubarb pie! My Mom made the best and I haven't had that yummy taste for many years. I might just have to go find me some rhubarb. The tulips are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm actually impressed that you made those very good things with little prior planning, Terje. Sounds delicious. And so is the slice you 'cooked up'. Tulips are delightful at this time of year, some of which I got for mothers' day. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who says pie doesn't count for a proper meal? It would for me! :) I always wondered what it would be like to be a bug and crawl into a tulip with its deep walls and wonderful fragrance. I think it would be fun! So glad you cooked up your slice today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always love to read what you cook up! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those tulips are almost as scrumptious as your description of the pie. If I can't have both I guess I'll take the tulips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh boy, I hate that nagging question too...what am I going to write about. Most times it turns out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the tulips, mine have come and gone. I hate the what's for dinner question too. It was wonderful how you tied the dinner question with the writing question.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When my husband asked me what I wanted for Mother's day, I replied "tulips" - they are a favorite. ( I also told him I wanted "two lips." )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the beautiful tulip pics and the beautiful slice! :)

    ReplyDelete