Tuesday, April 15, 2014
Storms
Outside two oaks and a birch stand bare and shivering, attempting to ignore the fierce bullying of the wind. The sky is bawling inconsolably, pouring tears into puddles and rivers. The rain bangs on the window in despair, sadness echoes back.
I sit, warm and cozy, on my living room sofa, a colorful fleece blanket tightly around me.
I am thankful that I am inside.
I know that eventually the rain will stop and the sun will come out. It always does.
I wish I could say the same to my friends, who are caught in a life storm, self-esteem shattered, worry about the future robbing their sleep, sadness and disappointment hurting their heart, powerless to fight the unfair situation.
I can't change their situation. They have to fight their own battles, discover their inner strength, live day-by-day, hold on to what matters the most, and find little things that bring them joy. I can't promise to them that everything is going to be OK. It's not for me to promise. I can make them a cup of tea, give them a piece of chocolate, listen to them without judgement, offer advice when asked, distract their thoughts, hug them.
We can't avoid storms. Sometimes a storm may be welcome, clearing the air, refreshing everything with rain. Sometimes we can prepare ourselves with proper clothes, necessary tools or right attitude. Sometimes we are forced to go into the rain unprepared, getting soaked to the bone, feeling desperate and alone. No, we can't avoid storms, but we can be thankful, when we are safe and happy, untouched by a storm.
I am thankful that I am inside, warm and cozy, on my living room sofa, a colorful fleece tightly around me, a book open on my lap, and I know I don't have to go out.
Labels:
sol
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow, I just love the metaphor you carried through this whole piece. I especially loved the part where you wrote about the aftermath of the storm - new beginnings and fresh air. Best of luck to your friends. Sounds like they're lucky to have you. They'll find their way inside as well.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written, Terje. I agree that it's good to count blessings and good to know what we can do for our friends who are facing challenges in one way or another. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteLove how the metaphor carried through to a lesson! I'm glad you are inside and cozy at this point! Be well!
ReplyDeleteStorms raging outside or inside are never enjoyable. The peace is always appreciated at the end. You are a master writer to develop this metaphor. Well done Terje!
ReplyDeleteThose life storms are often hard to get through, but with friends like you who are there to listen, give a piece of chocolate and cup of tea, they will get through those storms. I'm glad that you were safe inside while the wind and rain came down. I like how you related the storms of life with the storms of nature.
ReplyDeleteI love your connection with the storm outside and the living storms. Such beautiful language here, Terje! You are a dear friend to be so supportive of them. I hope you all "weather the storm!"
ReplyDeleteBrilliant post. Life storms come and go for all of us. Thank you for this thought...and you are a good friend with your kindness.
ReplyDeleteThis was lovely to read, just what I needed this evening, honestly :))
ReplyDeleteAmy
This takes my breath away. It doesn't stop the pain but the beautiful words sooth and reassure. We can't avoid the storms but it is so important to cherish our warm, safe moments in life.
ReplyDeleteYou have a wonderful way with words.
ReplyDelete