Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

sorting thoughts

During the Slice of Life Story Challenge in March people are invited to write a slice every day for 31 days. You can read the slices at Two Writing Teachers.


The washing machine has done its job for today. The vacuum cleaner has earned its rest. The sink sparks clean and empty. Procrastination is a tool for sorting thoughts. 

Books have returned to shelves. Board game boxes stand in a neat tower. Papers, pencils, and fairy wings have found their  right place. Uncluttering your surrounding is supposed to sort your thoughts. 

I drank my tea slowly. I turned off the TV. I sat on a couch and closed my eyes.
Peace and quiet is needed for looking inward.

I have tried all of the above and my thoughts still race in my head, twisting themselves into knots, blocking the pathways to action. 

Walking clears mind, but with a blizzard outside, I don't even want to try it today.

I'll try writing.

Here it goes:

  • We had MAP test last week and the results confuse me. The students I was afraid would go down with the scores had growth, and the ones I know have been eager to learn and practice, who have read and written the most, their scores didn't grow at all. I know it's just a test, but still....
  • We are writing reflections, and I have used different guiding questions, and several sessions of writing to support students in writing their reflections, reminding them that in any writing they need to consider their audience, pay attention to words and write with passion and voice. How come it still get some "I like reading. It is fun." and "I am good at writing because I write well"?
  • My homework is pretty much the same from week to week: read daily, practice math, read and have notes for Literature Circles twice a week, share a slice of life on Wednesday. How come some still show up without their notes or writing journal?
  • My friend and I will give a little workshop at a conference next Tuesday. We are kind of ready, but not quite. I am getting nervous. 
  • I have to write subplans for Tuesday. Should I write what the students would do if I was there or should I leave something easy and fun?
  • In Unit of Inquiry the students are working on small projects about light and sound. They have had time to experiment and create and read and research. I have allowed them to inquire and take charge of their own learning. We have looked at different project presentations, discussing what makes one better than another, how a really good presentation sounds and looks like. I know that process matters and that they are allowed to make mistakes. Yet, I want the final project presentation to be good and something that is substantial and meaningful and pleasing to look at. What I have seen so far makes me worried.
  • We have two weeks until the student-led conferences. I will be gone next Tuesday and next Friday is an inservice-day. We aren't even half finished with the reflections. We have to choose what activities to show during the half an hour in our class. Will we be ready? 


I can not change the MAP scores, I can not do the hw for the students, I have to let the students write their reflections and create their projects, there is still time for until the student-led conferences, my absence probably should not change the regular schedule and routines. Ok.
What can I do?
Practice for the Tuesday workshop.
Write my subplans.

I had planned writing a light slice of life with carefully chosen verbs and adjectives and some poetic language in it. I could not find those words because my messy thoughts occupied my head. I couldn't do or write anything else until I had untied and sorted my thoughts. Writing the thoughts out helped me today.  

11 comments:

  1. Seeing things on paper can help in so many ways. It is nice to see how it helps others, too. Sometimes when I am worried it is easy to forget how much it really does help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly seems like you have a lot going on....I hope this week goes smoothly and your "score angst" abates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your bolded words at the beginning of your blog led you on the path you needed to go. I wish my computer had the instinct to bold my words all by itself so I could see the markings of the path of my writing and my thoughts more clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so real, Terje. It makes your writing an invitation every time. Although these words aren't whimsical and playful and poetic, your words are true and vulnerable and strong. It is validating to know that others sometimes get lost in the muck of life too. Keep moving forward. Keep listening to your head and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you began, sort of Zen like...but then there is real life, filled with commitments and responsibilities - but you've embraced that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many feelings that you have written about in this slice. Your ending helped you to realize that there are some things you can change/do and others are beyond your control. I think that by writing this slice, you have sorted things out and will allow yourself to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like Sunday teacher thoughts, Terje. Teachers have so many decisions to make that I see why you needed to sort thoughts. I'm glad you wrote for us, and that it helped!

    ReplyDelete
  8. See writing helps, you came to a solution and your thoughts should settle back and let you rest. I sounds like a busy week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of my students take the MAP test. I am always surprised by the results. I don't trust them. Otherwise I am with Elsie and Linda, writing helps sort out thoughts! Glad you have a place to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If only I could count the times that writing my thoughts helped me get them organized and figure out what to do with them! :) Wishing you a good week ahead, Terje!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yet another way writing is good for us - helping us sort our thoughts and see what cannot be changed - and what steps we should take with the things that can. Your words reflect my thoughts on so many things, and my questions. I hope it is a good week for you. I'll bet it will be, now that you have a plan!

    ReplyDelete