Reading Michelle's slice in the morning inspired me.
I am all set to go to school. My snack and school bag are waiting on the hallway bench, I have washed my teacup and little red teapot, there is only one more thing to do before heading off to work.
The goodbye kiss to Mimm.
Last year she asked me to wake her up before I left. This was almost an hour before she really needed to get up. A hug, and a kiss, and waving through the window became part of our morning ritual. I would go to her room, slowly pull the blanket away, gently shake her shoulder, tickle her sides, she would squirm and wiggle, but eventually throw her hands around me. I would carry her to the hallway, we would kiss and hug, she would sprint to the living room window to make sure to see me one more time.
Slowly things changed.
First we stopped waving at the window.
Then she woke up but stayed in her bed.
This fall she started to cherish her morning sleep and asked only for a kiss.
She had become too big for her bed, and we had to extend it, and rearrange her whole room. Now her bed hides in a corner behind a cupboard.
It's hard to see where Mimm is under the mound of the blanket. I tap around the bed lightly to be sure I don't squish her with my knees as I climb in the bed, to reach her to give her a good-bye kiss.
"Have a wonderful day. Be good." I slide my hand over her silky hair and plant a kiss on her warm cheek.
She only mumbles and pulls the blanket tighter.
One day she is going to ask me to stop kissing her in the morning.
I hope that it won't happen yet.

What a special traditions. I am not sure she will ever want you to stop!
ReplyDeleteI think kissing her is one that will not stop. I'm still waving at the front door when my kids leave after visiting--kisses, too. A wonderful share.
ReplyDeleteLove this morning ritual. I have that girl, older than Mimm. She used to hate it when left before her. I still say goodbye and I love you, but from the door to her room blowing a kiss. Sometimes I get an I love you back. Sometimes a mumble. I know it means the same thing. Thanks for sharing and reminding me of mine. Maybe a kiss on the cheek this morning? Here's to many more kisses goodbye.
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard to watch them grow up and not want/need the things we currently do. I guess that is the ritual of life! I know you treasure each moment! Have a great day!
ReplyDeleteMy favorite line:
ReplyDelete"Have a wonderful day. Be good." I slide my hand over her silky hair and plant a kiss on her warm cheek."
This captures so well the sweetness of the moment.
I love your morning story and I love how you told it. But this is what I'm worried about ... how it all changes. I guess, one day, the pendulum will swing back around and the needs and wants will be different, but never like it once was. Hang on to all those special memories.
ReplyDeleteSo sweet and sweetly written, Terje.
ReplyDeleteI have a book...Let Me Hold You Longer by Karen Kingsbury...a picture book about a mom savoring the "lasts" as well as the "firsts".
Let me hold on longer, God, to every precious last. - Karen Kingsbury
Wonderful memories you are making each morning. They do grow up so quickly and we forget how special that hug and kiss can be. Enjoy your morning ritual.
ReplyDeleteMe too. A mixed bag Slice for sure Terje. You want your child to grow up and be her own person but it's too fast, right?
ReplyDeleteI hope not, either, Terje. I like hearing about your special routine.
ReplyDeleteSo sweet. I am a full grown adult, and if Mom could kiss me goodbye in the morning, I would take it. So, even when she asks you to stop, someday she will wish you never had. :)
ReplyDeleteTerje, you are absolutely right- this routine, as sweet as it is, will go away some day. I miss these quiet moments with my boys horribly, but there are new ones that will replace these as they grow older…
ReplyDelete