Ruth Ayres invites people to share a celebration every Saturday. Thinking back to a week you can pick anything - small or big - to celebrate. Thank you for the invitation, Ruth!
I celebrate Book Week
Our lower school has a lovely tradition to have Book Week right before February Break. We celebrate books, reading, readers, writing, writers, illustrators, mother tongue and stories.
This year the annual book week "Healthy Mind in Heathy Body was dedicated to sports, training, exercise, healthy life style and Olympics. Through out the week the students and adults participated in various activities, exercised our reading muscles, played, created, listened and presented.
We began on Friday, the 7th of February with a sleepover and finished on Thursday, the 13th of February with a Book Parade.
Here is a glimpse of the week:
![]() |
| Book Night with Zumba, relay race and sleepover (collage by Ms. Triin) |
![]() |
| Book week Opening Ceremony with Handbells, Choir singing and Slide show of Puff the Magic Dragon |
![]() |
| Human Library |
You can read more about our Human Library here.
![]() |
| Teddy Bear Picnics where upper school teachers came to read to primary school classes. |
![]() |
| On three mornings parents and teachers shared stories in their mother tongue in different classrooms. I listened to Shona, Bulgarian and Finnish. |
![]() |
| Classroom presentations. |
![]() |
| Book Parade - students dressed up as a character or paraded a favorite book in their hands (collage by Ms. Triin) |
![]() |
| In addition to all the official activities some of my students read their picture books aloud to first graders. |
I celebrate Estonia's 96th Birthday and our school's Estonian Culture Day
Book Week finished on Thursday. On Friday, a day before February Break, the whole school celebrated Estonia's 96th Birthday. The official national day is on the 24th of February.
We had several handicraft workshops, a national dance lesson and a folk song concert.
You can see more pictures here.
![]() |
| Estonian national flower |
Happy Birthday to Estonia!











Book Week sounds like a joyous time, Terje - so many different activities to bring together your school and your community. I love the Human Library concept, too, what a wonderful way to embrace cultures and include the larger community outside your school. Thank you for all the pictures, too - I can now visualize better the place where you spend your days - a warm, inviting, learning environment. So much to celebrate there!
ReplyDeleteThis week sounds marvelous, Terje-so many good activities for celebrating books. I always love seeing your school's work, and the happy students. Happy Birthday Estonia! We just had our break too and I loved every bit!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful celebration - I love that it is a full week! I particularly love that parents came in and read in first languages. How amazing for the children. Thank you for letting us get a peek into your celebrations through this post.
ReplyDeleteHoly moly! I'm still trying to take it all in! Your school's Book Week is outstanding!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds so much fun! I am sure it was a lot of work for the staff as well, but everyone looks so happy! Kudos for combining reading and Olympics! Hope you have had a great week off!
ReplyDelete