Pages

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

searching for OLW 2014



Using a teaspoon as a fishing net I catch the mint leaves swimming in my glass tea cup. I smile when I think how lucky I am to have mint growing on my windowsill. For me a cup of fresh mint tea is a never ending summer, a reminder of peacefulness, a  key to slow time. I curl my feet under my bottom and sink into a kitchen sofa. Warming my hands tightly around the cup, careful not to spill a drop, I admire the steam dancing in the air. No rush. As if from a mist a question rises, "What should my one little word be for next year?"
Where did that question come from? I snap out of my tea time dreaming. It's still November and my this year's one little word "spark" has more than a month to do its magic. "Spark" truly has lived up to its name and my expectations, pulling me through stressful and confusing times, lifting my spirits and inspiring me to be a better teacher, mother, friend, blogger. What word could carry the torch "spark" has ignited?
This year I needed a word to take care of me. Now I feel stronger. I am ready to give, share what I know outside the safe classroom walls and friendship circle, challenge myself to put my dreams and ideas in action. Yet at the same time I wish to remember to breathe, connect and simplify.
I know I don't need a large slogan or a strategic plan to make it happen. All I need is one little word.
Stretch? Dare? Visible? Choose? Step? Routine? Envision? Organize? Share? Inspire? Act?
It's still November.  I am sure the word is preparing to arrive soon. We'll meet.
I sip my tea, close my eyes, let the warmth flow through my body, smiling at the thought of how much power can one word have. I drift back to my tea time dreaming. No rush.


12 comments:

  1. I am sure that one little word will find you and probably in a most unlikely place! It is hard to believe that it is almost time for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about what my 2014 word will be. I might pick balance again... we'll see. (I feel like I'm spending too much time on the computer and not enough time with other things I enjoy.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You lulled me into your cozy world, then snap! it disappeared as your thoughts shifted. You have a great line up of words, I know the right one will speak to you when the time is right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat idea of coming up with one word for your year. I will have to give this series consideration. Thanks for sharing.

    Mary-andering Creatively

    Mary-andering Among the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about my OLW, too. I'm having a hard time. Maybe a cuppa would help me pick the perfect word...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm what a wonderful challenge. I know you are up for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the images surrounding your teacup, especially using the spoon as a fishing net and the steam dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that intro in the box, Terje, makes me want to be right there enjoying the tea with you! I hope you find that one.spectacular.word!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am drinking my "Finnish" silver tea as I read your post! I love this whole idea of one little word for the year! My one word has been a wonderful reminder this year. I am also looking forward to a new word next year. I am sure you will soon feel the "spark" of a new word! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terje, I could smell the scent of mint and feel the warmth coming from your cup of tea and throughout the year, I've felt that "spark" that you have in your writing. Your OLW will come at the least expected time, and now back to your tea dreaming time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terje,
    Your teA time dean time felt so relaxing! I'm certain your OLW will show up at just the right moment! You got me thinking about 2014...but I must keep the balance for now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea time dream time ! Sorry I must learn to read the fine print before tapping "done".

      Delete