
Ruth Ayres invites people to share a celebration every Saturday. Thinking back to a week you can pick anything - small or big - to celebrate.
I'd like to celebrate the sparks of social media.
My first two weeks on Twitter have been interesting. I found new blogs, books and articles to read, quotes to remember, advice to follow, and ideas to implement; tried retweeting and composed some tweets; discovered a slide show our librarian had made in spring; followed one conversation #nerdlution and was amazed how three people created energy and inspiration for each other and others in a short time. The most surreal experience was when Peter H. Reynolds followed me back. So far so good, so I'll continue giving Twitter a chance.
Our first two weeks with grade 3 writing blog (not yet public) have been successful. The students have been eager to post and comment. The youngest in my class (7) has been the most eager writer and one of his posts says what all bloggers have discovered:
"I write in a blog because I like to write for other people. I also like to write because people can comment and start a big talk. As well as say what they liked in your writing. Let's say, someone says "I like this part" and that makes you feel happy. That's good if everyone is happy."
I'd like to celebrate a book talk. Our middle school teacher invited me (grade 3 teacher) to give a book talk to sixth and seventh graders. Me? Middle schoolers? I agreed. Last spring I recommended Donalyn Miller's "The Book Whisperer" to this teacher, she loved the book and decided to change the way she had taught reading so far. I had seen her students reading. I wanted to support the teacher. I know that sometimes it's easier for a stranger to recommend books than for a teacher.
I decided to choose books that have surprised me and helped me grow as a reader. The one advantage that I have as a reader is that because I am a mother and a teacher I get to read books other than PD and adult novels. I packed a bag with some books from home and borrowed some from our school library. Here are some of the books: Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (Kate DiCamillo), Dead End in Norvelt (Jack Gantos), Inkheart (Cornelia Funke), The Book Thief (Markus Zusak), The Dreamer (Pam Muños Ryan and Peter Sis), Divergent (Veronica Roth), The Fault in Our Stars (John Green), The Elegance of the Hedgehog (Muriel Barberry), and Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman (Richard P. Feynman). If you look at the list it's not exactly a regular reading list of an adult woman. When I had the book talk, I pulled out each book and told a story of how the book ended in my hands and what I thought of the book. If anyone had read a book I showed, they gave their opinion. I shared how trying books that don't necessarily match my interest can surprise; how reading has helped me to connect with my students, daughters, friends and strangers; how reading has helped me to learn about people and put my life in perspective; how the stories can make me cry an laugh and get lost in the words for hours. We finished the book talk with all children recommending books to me. I took some ideas with me and I hope the students got some ideas from me.
I'd like to celebrate the reasons I love going to school. Hop over to my classroom blog. It's a blog I keep to inform parents of what we do at school.
I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend. I am off to play "Touche" board game with my youngest daughter.
My first two weeks on Twitter have been interesting. I found new blogs, books and articles to read, quotes to remember, advice to follow, and ideas to implement; tried retweeting and composed some tweets; discovered a slide show our librarian had made in spring; followed one conversation #nerdlution and was amazed how three people created energy and inspiration for each other and others in a short time. The most surreal experience was when Peter H. Reynolds followed me back. So far so good, so I'll continue giving Twitter a chance.
Our first two weeks with grade 3 writing blog (not yet public) have been successful. The students have been eager to post and comment. The youngest in my class (7) has been the most eager writer and one of his posts says what all bloggers have discovered:
"I write in a blog because I like to write for other people. I also like to write because people can comment and start a big talk. As well as say what they liked in your writing. Let's say, someone says "I like this part" and that makes you feel happy. That's good if everyone is happy."
I'd like to celebrate a book talk. Our middle school teacher invited me (grade 3 teacher) to give a book talk to sixth and seventh graders. Me? Middle schoolers? I agreed. Last spring I recommended Donalyn Miller's "The Book Whisperer" to this teacher, she loved the book and decided to change the way she had taught reading so far. I had seen her students reading. I wanted to support the teacher. I know that sometimes it's easier for a stranger to recommend books than for a teacher.
I decided to choose books that have surprised me and helped me grow as a reader. The one advantage that I have as a reader is that because I am a mother and a teacher I get to read books other than PD and adult novels. I packed a bag with some books from home and borrowed some from our school library. Here are some of the books: Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (Kate DiCamillo), Dead End in Norvelt (Jack Gantos), Inkheart (Cornelia Funke), The Book Thief (Markus Zusak), The Dreamer (Pam Muños Ryan and Peter Sis), Divergent (Veronica Roth), The Fault in Our Stars (John Green), The Elegance of the Hedgehog (Muriel Barberry), and Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman (Richard P. Feynman). If you look at the list it's not exactly a regular reading list of an adult woman. When I had the book talk, I pulled out each book and told a story of how the book ended in my hands and what I thought of the book. If anyone had read a book I showed, they gave their opinion. I shared how trying books that don't necessarily match my interest can surprise; how reading has helped me to connect with my students, daughters, friends and strangers; how reading has helped me to learn about people and put my life in perspective; how the stories can make me cry an laugh and get lost in the words for hours. We finished the book talk with all children recommending books to me. I took some ideas with me and I hope the students got some ideas from me.
I'd like to celebrate the reasons I love going to school. Hop over to my classroom blog. It's a blog I keep to inform parents of what we do at school.
I hope that you all have a wonderful weekend. I am off to play "Touche" board game with my youngest daughter.
Twitter still eludes me. The only tweets on my account are my daughter voting on The Voice. This is something I really need to do. Your post gives me encouragement! Your book list was great! Definitely a book for every reader! I love how you told "how the book ended up ion your hands." A different twist - I like that!
ReplyDeleteLove that you're doing twitter. As you know, I am, but still don't spend much time there-but fun when I do! Love that you did the book talk-I do them often at school, & you're right, so fun they like my recommendations (which the teacher could do as well) because I'm a different person talking. Love the list, too, Terje. Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman is one I still share-did you know it's a graphic novel now too? Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteTerje, I'll have to find you on Twitter. I'm @mrsday75 if you can find me first. Twitter has been the most transformative PD I do. Keep giving it a shot. I promise you will continue to learn and grow!
ReplyDeleteTerje, I have a Twitter account too. Every time I go on Twitter, I wonder why I don't use it more, because I think it's a great source of professional development! I have learned a lot! And how brave of you to support a middle school colleague. Sounds like your book talks were wonderful! I've been doing some book talks in middle school this year too and have been surprised at how much I've enjoyed those middle school readers!
ReplyDeleteTerje, I am convinced now--I just joined twitter! Booktalks are so important. I have to make a better effort in my class in the weeks to come. Thanks for setting the example!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to Twitter! Isn't it fun?! It's even more fun to meet Twitter friends at conferences and workshops throughout the country! I need to make sure I'm following you! :-)
ReplyDeleteTerje,
ReplyDeleteGlad you are on Twitter my friend. I will find you! I love love love it! I love the comments from your students starting to blog. Comments do make you happy! Sweet inspiration isn't it? So happy your book talk went well...great list of TBR! books.
Your school year is so different from last year, I celebrate that for you! I am still floundering in Twitter-land. Someone needs to show me, could you fly over and do that? :-) I love your young man's reason for blogging. He gets it, and that's why we continue (even if it is for more than a month).
ReplyDeleteGlad you are testing the twitter waters. Found it this summer and love it. Also congrats on your kid blogging. Your 7-year old blogger says it all. So excited for you and your students.
ReplyDeletewow - glad you joined twitter even though I have a love-hate relationship with it! I will try to become a follower because YOU always have things to say I want to read!
ReplyDelete