
Ruth Ayres invites people to share a celebration every Saturday. Thinking back to a week you can pick anything - small or big - to celebrate.
I'd like to celebrate my students as teachers. Last week in math they worked in groups and had to learn about a category of geometry (symmetry, polygons, triangles, quadrilaterals) and this week they took turns teaching each other. I just loved watching them. They all had prepared a poster, they presented confidently, had thought of activities on I-Pad or small whiteboards, and some of them had created a game to play. The young teachers were supportive and encouraging when others answered questions. One group had considered how to support ELL students and even had created little personal stickers for each classmate for participation.
I'd like to celebrate sushi making. Last Saturday a group of my colleagues gathered for a sushi workshop. It was an informal gathering at a friend's place with the main goal of having a good time, chatting and laughing. Oh, we talked and laughed non-stop even when we followed the instructions for making sushi, tried out the rolling of it and later enjoyed eating what we had made. This Thursday I reread the instructions, invited my daughters to join me and we made sushi at home for the first time. We had a lovely dinner.
I'd like to celebrate 100 days of sun salutation in the morning. For a bit more than three months now I have done a short morning routine to get the day started. Sometimes I am awfully sleepy, for a moment even think of using the time for sleeping, but nevertheless get myself out of the bed and stretch and bend and breathe, taking my small steps for health and happiness. By now I have memorized the asanas, but I still like to use my I-Pad app, because when I finish, I receive a little note. Here's one to share with you:
Now you're ready for the day.
Be thankful for whatever it brings you,
and you'll find happiness in life.

I love your celebration of students as teachers. It is one of my favorite things as a teacher to see my students take the lead and teach others. Sushi making sounds so much fun as well. Enjoy an other happy day with much to celebrate.
ReplyDeletePeople say that you learn the most when you teach someone. I am sure your classroom was filled with learning this week! I love the thought of finding happiness in life whenever we are thankful...so true! Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteStudents as teachers is a powerful tool for learning. I love to eat sushi but never attempted to make it myself. Doing a sun salutation every morning. I go to exercise 3 days a week but may start the sun salutation on the off days. What is the app?
ReplyDeleteI love all three of these celebrations. That app for sun salutations sounds so perfect! I love the idea of students as teachers. It sounds like your students took on the challenge in a very serious way. That is amazing.
ReplyDeleteI love all of your celebrations! What a great way to start your day, I may need to steal that especially on these cold mornings. I just hate getting up in the dark. I guess I need to make my own sunshine! Happy Saturday!
ReplyDeleteLots to celebrate in your world! I love the idea of sun salutations!
ReplyDeleteA sun salutation - even when we can't see it, it is there. Definitely a celebration.
ReplyDeleteI love the sun salutation. Congrats on 100 days. What app do you use?
ReplyDeleteWhat wonderful celebrations! Isn't it great when we can sit back and watch our students step in and teach others? I've not tried sushi making, but I'm always up for celebrating anything that has to do with cooking. :) And, your sun salutation sounds interesting. I'm going to have to look into it. It sounds like the perfect way to start my day.
ReplyDelete