About a month ago I wrote about implementing healthy habits.
It's about time to report how things are going. When it comes to exercising and writing I feel pretty good. I won't provide the assessment criteria or any specific data. I wonder if I created a portfolio, stepped on scales, or counted the words, or kept a spreadsheet with minutes, or took a test, my conclusion would be different.
The greatest difficulty for me is to keep the healthy eating habit. I try and try, but there are so many challenges on the way. I believe that once you read my slice, you understand me, and don't judge me.
First of all, I am surrounded by food trolls. I used to call them baking princesses, but I have come to realizations that they are trolls in disguise. The trolls just take over the bodies of my daughters. And now they have started taking over the bodies of my coworkers. Almost daily someone brings in something sweet. I would have to be a robot or under a protective spell to resist chocolate chip cookies or apple pies. I sometimes wonder if there are courses on how to say no to the cookies. Do they give a refund if I gobble up the last cookie on a plate?
Second, I have discovered that I may have a malfunction in my nervous system. Scientist claim that my brain controls my actions. I am not sure. My brain sometimes shouts out loud "Don't eat that cinnamon bun!" My hand and mouth simply ignore it. Maybe I have a separate food brain in my stomach that is in charge of the hand-mouth coordination. I hope that there aren't any doctors reading this slice or I might end up as a case study in a medical journal. Or maybe it's an alien invasion to my body and I am already listed in X-files.
Third, the food speaks to me. Especially chocolate. One evening I found a small chocolate on a kitchen table. I decided to escape from the food and went for a walk. When I returned, the chocolate was still there. I quickly turned off the lights and rushed away. In vain. The chocolate cried and begged to be eaten. I am a softy (belly and heart) and couldn't be cruel to crush the chocolate's dreams. I wonder where could I study the language of vegetables and beans. Or maybe the vegetables and beans need more practice in mastering persuasive arguments.
I have heard that some people have a cure to resist temptations. It's called a willpower. I seem to get it in tiny packages. Just enough to exercise but not enough to combat sugars and fats. Where would I get some more? If you have any left over, you can send it my way. Or if you have seeds of willpower and instructions to grow it, would you mind sharing?
What a fun post to read! Your trolls made me laugh, but they are evil when they bring temptation close to you. I think the vegetables speak so softy that the fats and sugars drown them out. I too am fighting the food war. Each day is a battle. Good luck to you!
ReplyDeleteI have trolls, too - in my case, one of them goes by the name of Olivia, who visits home and leaves baked goods behind...what's a mom to do ,but eat them!
ReplyDeleteThat's it! My willpower is tightly wrapped in tiny little packages too!
ReplyDeleteTerje, I know what you mean about the chocolate and sweets calling out to you. I think that must be a common thread among chocolate lovers - we all are softies. I keep trying to find the willpower to stop those voices coming at me from all directions, but it only stays with me for a little while and then it disappears. I'm glad to hear that you are winning the battle with exercise and I'm so happy that you are continuing to write. One step at a time!
ReplyDeleteAt my last job, my secretary was the most unbelievable baker. Thankfully, we were good friends, so she understood when I told her it that it was unacceptable to bring anything to work anymore. She was usually doing it b/c she wanted the house, so we compromised by her leaving it at the front desk, and I just made sure i always came in the back door to work.
ReplyDeleteIf the trolls take over family members, perhaps you need the help of elves. If you are really good, maybe the elves will bring you only healthy snacks??
ReplyDeleteTerje, you have me laughing all through your post, sorry, but can't help it, & also sorry, that means I have not one willpower seed to send. We have trolls at school that are so sharing they bring in leftover everything, as in, I couldn't possibly eat this whole cake, so brought in the rest of it! There is always something in the teacher's lounge (next door to my office!). I hope you receive oodles of will power, then perhaps you can share?
ReplyDeleteBest Post EVER. I can't judge. I AM this post. haha - already shared it on my Facebook feed, because I know so many that will enjoy your train of thought! Hope that's OK! :)
ReplyDeleteI so hear you. I've been good and then bad. Something in my brain takes over and I am lost. It just happened last night. Good thing we had lots of good things to go crazy with, but it's an uphill struggle, always.
ReplyDeleteBonnie