I pedaled as fast as I could, trying to keep up with my sister, avoiding tree trunks and rocky bottoms of dried out puddles. There was no time to admire the serene beauty of the forest. Bird-listening, heather-admiring, pine-smelling, and moss-stepping were not on the agenda. Burning calories was the goal.
"Look! There's a chanterelle. Can we stop?" My sister obviously had more energy and time to observe the surroundings. As soon as she spotted the little yellow spots off the road, her basic food-gatherer instincts kicked in.
"No. Not now. Right now we are doing sports. You're supposed to help me get fit, shape my figure, shed the guilt for eating the last piece of chocolate. Keep pedaling." I was aware that I was kidding myself with the power of the bike ride. It would have taken thousand hours of biking, swimming, walking and some time-reversing magic to get me back in the shape I dreamt off. I recently read somewhere that happy people don't lose weight easily because they have less motivation to change their eating and exercise habits. Happy people can also be fit, and maybe being fit would make me even happier. So whether it was 5, 10 or 15 kilometers we would accomplish, it would still be better than nothing.
I was pretty sure I heard a small whimper.
"Fine. We'll pick the mushrooms on our way back." I knew there was no stopping my sister, when she wanted to pick mushrooms. It didn't matter that mom's friend had recently sold us three kilos of chanterelles, that my sister had carefully cleaned and then sauteed in butter. For once there was enough, so she allowed me to taste some straight off the pan, instead of smacking me with a spatula, when I tried to steal some. I knew my sister would never leave the golden taste-bud-pleasers hiding in the moss. I knew this because last time she had picked some mushrooms on our bike trip, even when she had nowhere to put them. She had taken off one of her crocs to store the little treasures and pedaled home with one foot bare.
She had explained to me once before that finding and picking the mushrooms was the best part of the process. For most people it's the savoring of the taste in their mouth that constitutes pleasure. Once, about fifteen years ago, when I was in a hotel in Munich, people recommended me to order something special. At that time I was not familiar with the names of pasta sorts nor knew names of mushrooms. When people suggested ordering farfalle in chanterelle sauce I had no clue what to expect. I couldn't even imagine what delicatessen I would get. My hopes were high. When my plate arrived, I was rather disappointed, because what was offered was a common home food from my point of view - simple macaroni with mushroom sauce. I have tried to lessen my culinary ignorance since. I also have come to appreciate more and more that in the country side I get to eat simple delightful meals that others order in the restaurants for high price.
I kept my promise. My bottom numb from the cycling and legs wobbling underneath, I helped my sister as much as I could. There wasn't much, but just enough for a small mushroom sandwich aka chanterelle bruschetta.
mushroom picking 2011


Your sis inspired you at just the right time...you must've needed a break! Thanks for sharing your tasty looking adventure. I had no idea what farfalle in chanterelle sauce was...but now I do! Yum!
ReplyDeleteMushrooms are not on my favorite list, but I am happy for others to enjoy them. Interesting observation that some food you have as everyday food is a treat in other places. Raspberries are usually expensive here, so I an green with envy when I learn of someone who has more than they can consume.
ReplyDeleteI think I need to bike with your sister! She seems to know how to inspire exercise, see the beauty and find the good foods on the journey!
ReplyDeleteSo happy to see the basket, instead of the croc! Yum, this used to be a big event when I lived in Missouri so we could go 'morel' hunting, & now in Colorado I do it less & less, but there were some great ones around my cabin in the fall. Love your post, Terje, & the sister push & pull-hope your sis got her fill & you got a little bit of getting in shape!
ReplyDeleteI love the line, "I have tired to lessen my culinary ignorance since then." Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteYour story reminded my about the mushroom soup that my cousin made for me last summer. I was very suspicious as mushrooms are not my favorite things, but there is something different about the mushrooms in Finland. It was one of the best soups I have ever had! It included yellow chanterelles, of course!
ReplyDeleteYou gotta love sisters...but I will pass on the mushrooms!
ReplyDeleteHow great to spend time with your sister! Thanks for letting us tag along.
ReplyDelete