Friday, April 26, 2013
600 g of margarine for the pastry and 600 g of butter for
the cream – not exactly a light spring cake.
Several steps to follow and many hours for making the cake –
not exactly a quick and easy task.
Heavenly taste and a special occasion – exactly the right
cake to make.
I have seen the Napoleon Cake in many versions and with
different recipes in several of cookbooks. I use a special recipe I got from my cousin’s wife years
ago. I was eighteen, stayed with her for the whole time when she was making the
cake, and wrote down word-by-word what she said.
Looking at the yellow stained pages of the almost falling
apart old journal, I make a mental note to rewrite the recipes from there. It
goes on the one-day-I-will-list. I should probably make a cookbook for my girls
with all the recipes that our family likes.
Four years has passed since I made the cake last time. Dad’s
seventy fifth birthday was the special occasion then. I think I remember. I
think I am ready. I hope that the cake will turn out as well as four years ago.
Put 5 really big cups
of flour into a bowl
Add 600 g of cold
margarine cut into small
Use your fingers to
make a crumble
Put half a cup of sour
cream in to a smaller bowl.
In the same cup you
had the flour in, whip together 2 eggs, a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of
citric acid. Now add water so the cup is full. Pour it on the sour cream and
mix.
Now add 1 teaspoon of
baking soda and quickly add to the first bowl. Make the pastry dough and put it
into the fridge.
When I was eighteen, there were not many cookbooks. I
couldn’t dream about using a computer and doing a Google or Pinterest search,
or visiting blogs or magazines. I knew that computers existed but hadn’t seen
one, my family didn’t have a phone and we had a tiny black and white TV. I had
my mom’s old cookbook with very few pictures that I worked through during my
last year of high school. Even though nowadays I can buy pastries or dough at
the store, I prefer making my own. Over the time I have collected many
cookbooks, magazines, and recipes from the vastenss of internet. I know that I
have passed the baking gene on to my daughters.
Back to baking.
Divide the dough into
six sections and roll each out and bake until golden.
Ideally I should roll the dough into circles or rectangles.
Getting thin blobs on the baking sheet doesn’t worry me. Shaping the cake
later, leaves the cut off strips as a reward for the hard work.
I prefer baking the sheets of dough one by one. It takes
more time and patience, but they bake more evenly.
Let the layers of
pastry cool completely.
Make the cream.
Take 600 g of butter
that has softened at the room temperature. It should be soft, soft, soft. Whisk
it with 1 ½ cup of sugar until pale and fluffy.
Take on liter of milk
and heat it until it starts boiling. Stir and watch that it wouldn’t stick to
the bottom of the pot or boil over.
In a cup mix 4 large
spoonfuls of sugar and 4 large spoonfuls of flour, add water, and stir until
smooth and creamy.
Carefully pour it into
the boiling milk, stir until the cream thickens.
Let it cool. Then mix
it with the butter fluff. Put it
in the fridge.
Now I remember why I make this Napoleon Cake so seldom. One
time I burnt my first liter of milk. It took a long time to get rid of the
stink. One time I didn’t let the milk cool and mixed it with butter too soon
and the butter melted. Last time I wasn’t careful enough and the warm mixture
became lumpy, I had to sieve it, and the mess was revolting. My sister and I
often laugh that even the most carefully written instructions, especially the
ones that claim to be fool proof, don’t necessarily work. We sometimes joke
writing a cookbook “How the Cakes and Pies Really Look Like.” It’s great to
have a sister who also bakes and cooks. She will bring the materials for sushi
and wraps for the party.
This time the cream turned out beautiful.
Make a layered cake
with 5 pastry sheets.
Spread jam (black
current or plum) and cream on the first layer.
Then alternate the
layers and cream,
Break the last pastry
sheet into flakes and spread it on the top of the cake. Put the cake in the
fridge for hours. It tastes best when it stays in the fridge overnight.
We plan to eat the cake the same evening. Rich and tasty it
is perfect for my daughters 18th birthday.
I think I need more than one piece of a cake to accept the truth
that my first child is an adult.


it was delicious (especially the next morning with a cup of coffee)
ReplyDeleteI love the way you wove the recipe through your narrative....and a lovely treat for a young lady's 18th. birthday.
ReplyDeleteLooks wonderful, sounds delicious and such a work of love for your daughter.
ReplyDeleteMy mouth is watering as I read the directions and gaze at the pictures of this amazing cake. I totally understand why this is a special cake made infrequently. Happy Birthday to your daughter! It is a milestone for both of you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a LOT of work....it must be so delicious...a treat for milestone birthdays and celebrations of great deeds...kind of like homemade ravioli in my family!
ReplyDeleteYour patience while making preparations must have enhanced the flavor! But what a beautiful creation! And I don't just mean the cake.
ReplyDeleteSo much feeling in this piece.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written and shown, Terje. I admire the work it takes to create one of these. Wow! I made a buche de noel once, lots of time spent! Your cake shows expertise, but so much love for your daughter. Happy Birthday to her!
ReplyDeleteTerje, you layered your story like you layered the cake. I was curious to know who the cake was for as the recipe was made for special occasions, like your fathers birthday.
ReplyDelete"I think I need more than one piece of a cake to accept the truth that my first child is an adult." Loved this line.
Terje, my first child, Piper, turned 18 on April 13th. I would have to eat 23 cakes to accept the truth of her age.
xo
Pamela
The patience and the result here are equally amazing and beautiful. What a nice way to show love and care to your daughter.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! All of it!
ReplyDelete