Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

rejected thoughts

The hardest part of the challenge is to write in haste without the time to thoroughly revise and refine. I had "rejected thoughts" written in my notebook. I played with the words and thoughts a little and settled to this poemish writing. Not exactly what I envisioned, but on it's way. 

rejected thoughts and discarded words
wishing for a second chance
hoping for a better future
wanting to make a difference

rejected thoughts and discarded words
searching for a meaningful spot
waiting for a right moment
dreaming of a perfect owner

rejected thoughts and discarded words
sneaking into an old photograph
hiding between rocks and pebbles
meeting a pen on a napkin corner

rejected thoughts and discarded words
warming hearts in the old man's tales
bringing joy in the child's play
becoming mighty in the poet's mind






13 comments:

  1. I turn to free verse when I'm at a loss or a in a whimsical mode. I love how you rejected thoughts and discarded words found a place on your post. I'm very curious about this photograph, napkin, old man's tales, and joy in the child still. Is there a Part II to this poem, or just a surfacing memory? I like it--so much wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is kind of a "found poem". Looking at my notes of ideas not used, there is probably a poem there. Must look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to imagine so much from your words. words looking for a perfect owner...I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rejected thoughts and discarded words have taken on human qualities searching for someone to use them. I love the image this creates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The use of the repeated phrase is effective in your piece. I also liked the emotional connection applied to these words. You have brought rejected thoughts in from the cold. The final line is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also like the repetition of line. I like, "pen on a napkin corner" and "mighty in a poet's hands."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, if you revise, I'd love to see that too, Terje. This is beautiful. I especially love verse 3, the images priceless. And I liked the end "becoming mighty in a poet's hand". Thanks for doing, since you seemed a little reluctant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful! I really like how you began each stanza with the same lines. It was soft and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those rejected thoughts and discards words came alive in your poem. I especially liked the second stanza: "searching for a meaningful spot, waiting for a right moment,dreaming of a perfect owner." Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so good at personification. You are my personification mentor. My favorites are the images these lines conjure up:

    sneaking into an old photograph
    hiding between rocks and pebbles
    meeting a pen on a napkin corner

    ReplyDelete
  11. You never cease to amaze me. I have plenty of rejected thoughts scribbled in my notebook, but I never, ever would have thought to create something with it. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Last line is powerful! When you use the words in the right place, they can change so much. Today you have given power to the discarded words.

    ReplyDelete