Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Life on a game board

Our family likes board games. When Mimm was 6, she made two board games for us to play. The first one was about BFG and the second one about Wizard of Oz.
Yesterday when I arrived from a 4-day trip to Prague, Mimm (8) decided that the best way to spend time together would be to make one more board game. We thought of different books I had read aloud to her or she had read herself, but none of them got a strong yes from Mimm. Then I joked that since Mimm can't think of anything, she should loose one turn. That sparked an idea to make a board game about our life. All together our family (43, 42, 17, 16, 8) thought of different situations that would make us move back or forward, loose a turn or roll again.
Today Mimm and I continued. We thought of pictures to draw and colors and symbols to add. As we drew each idea on the game board we kept crossing things of the list. Mimm drew the pictures and I colored the circles and wrote instructions. We decided where exactly should one move back or forward. We added numbers and symbols. Voila! We have a new game to play.
Our life:
Mimm has friends over and they play (roll again)
Kerstin bakes (skip a turn)
We don't have any baking paper left, go to the store (move back)
Mom and dad go to work (move forward)
Dad takes Marianne to a dance competition (move forward)
Mimm performs, mom and dad go to watch (roll again)
We all play a board game (move if you get 4,5, or 6)
Mom forgets her tea and it gets cold (roll again)
Everyone plays on a computer on laptop or I-Pad (skip 2 turns)
Dad brings Marianne back from the competition (move back)
It's Sunday, Marianne goes back to grandma's place (move back)
Mimm creates a chaos with her toys (skip a turn)
We go to the movies (move forward)
Marianne and Kerstin go shopping with their aunt (skip a turn)
Dad does not understand anything that goes on (roll again)
We play WII (make someone else go back three places)
Mom and dad go walking (move forward)
Mimm forgets her schoolbag at school (move back)



10 comments:

  1. What fun! I once made a personalized Monopoly game based on our family, but I've never tried making a completely new game from scratch. The family version of Monopoly was definitely the favorite version for my daughter to play, too.
    http://kaymcgriff.edublogs.org/2013/03/18/let-the-games-begin/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely that everyone got to participate and share what they do and whether that makes more a forward, backward or skip move. I'll bet this becomes a special keepsake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A game of real life... I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am going to steal your idea next time I am with my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking how I could incorporate this idea to my curriculum...no more children at home to play board games....

    ReplyDelete
  6. So who won this game of life? I think you have a winner with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much fun. I'm glad you shared the photos and the process. I bet you have so much fun playing games together.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply adorable! I love the creativity and imagination that both you and Mimm possess. A game of real life! Happy playing! Save this forever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This real life board game is very meaningful, but I can't get over being struck by the quality of Mimm's illustrations on the BFG and the Wizard of Oz board games! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are wonderful, Terje, and I love that you have the earliest ones too. It makes me nostalgic, for my mother used to create board games for me (she was an artist), but they were on flimsy paper & we didn't keep any of them. Perhaps you've given me an idea for the grand-girls! It seems that you found a lovely way for your return home-coming!

    ReplyDelete