"Hi, Sis. What have you done today?" (The usual start for our phone conversations)
"Not much. Slow Saturday. What about you?"
"Not much either."
One would think that this kind of start would predict a quick end to the chat. Not with us.
She speaks about her plans for dinner, about cleaning windows, about going for a walk.
I share Mimm's treasure hunt game, about hubby taking a nap after making lunch, about upcoming student led conferences. I mention reading "Quiet"* by Susan Cain.
"I have come to a conclusion that I am probably an introvert," I suggest.
"What makes you think that?"
"Well I'd rather be at home than in a big crowd. You know how extroverts always know what to speak about in the crowd, I don't."
"They live active lives, so they have what to talk about. But if going out or staying home is the basis for definition, then we are both very content with staying home and drinking tea. Then again if our hubbies see us with our mom, we talk non-stop. They would call us extroverts."
We laugh at how we talk seemingly without taking a breath. We do the same during the phone call. Topics switch from weather, to curtains, to plants, to furniture, to exercise, to TV shows, to google reader closing down, to blogs we read. I brief her about my phone call with mom, she updates me on J.'s (my nephew) new reading books. We map the rest of our family as introverts. Still not sure about mom and us.
"See how nothing happened and we still talked with each other for more than an hour," my sis points out.
"Yes, but none of these topics would have been very entertaining for others. Nothing intellectual or cultural," I point back.
"Well you mentioned reading a book," she finds one.
"Yes, that makes me deep and interesting."
"May-be there is a category of introverts who within their family talk uncontrollably."
"Did you know that in Asian cultures talking is often viewed upon as waste of time? Quiet is the sign of deep thought," I share a bit of what I had read.
"So in the crowd we can pretend we are in deep thought," my sis suggest.
We laugh again. With each other we don't count the minutes we spend on talking. We absolutely enjoy talking about nothing, about something, about anything, about everything. We decide that even though our phone calls are long, we are introverts, just because we are Estonians and that it's carried in our genes.
Before hanging up we talk a bit more about our plans for the evening, for the next week, for the next weekend. We dream about spring.
* In "Quiet" Susan Cain combines research findings, with stories of famous introverts and with personal stories. She shows the power of introverts and the challenges they face in a world that values extroverts. A fascinating book.
What a nice daily ritual. It seems like it is easy to not stay connected in the everyday busyness of life. I am glad that you and your sister have found a way to make each other a priority each day. I enjoyed this glimpse into your conversation.
ReplyDeleteI spend hours sitting and talking with friends in a coffee shop, then when I get home my husband asks what did you learn? I stop and can't really tell him any one topic that we talked about, but we talked the entire time. I think this is how it is with your sister. It's not what you talk about, but it's that you did talk.
ReplyDeleteWith each other we don't count the minutes we spend on talking. We absolutely enjoy talking about nothing, about something, about anything, about everything....
ReplyDeleteI have two brothers and that is exactly how it goes with them too. It must be the power of that sibling bond.
My Dad and his brother talk on the phone daily. No matter what. Some days I think they talk multiple times a day! I think it's adorable, especially since they're in their late 60's.
ReplyDeleteoh, that slice is so true...you forgot to mention that we do try to finish our conversations multiple times and yet another topic pops up and we continue our "small talk"
ReplyDeleteThis is such a nice daily ritual that you have. I recently have been checking in daily with my sister as she goes through a really rough pregnancy and I hope we will continue to chat daily once she feels better. I love talking with her about everything and anything.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have so many things in common. You are both blessed.
ReplyDeleteIt's great that you have such a closer sister relationship, not everyone is so lucky.
ReplyDeleteI've been hearing a lot about QUIET. It's a book I want to read. Enjoy those conversations with your sister. Thank you for sharing a glimpse of one of those talks about anything and everything.
ReplyDeleteI love it all, Terje. My mother and I talked often, not daily when I moved, but 2 or 3 times a week & I miss that habit. Now my daughter calls daily & we talk about anything & everything, just as you described-such fun. I am an introvert through & through, enjoy the quiet & being by myself quite a bit. I miss my husband of course, but we were both content to stay home quite a lot. I'll look for that book you mentioned. Sounds interesting!
ReplyDeleteYour post made me long for a sister! You are blessed!
ReplyDeleteLove this snippet of a phone call too. I would consider myself an introvert as well. Love that you talk with your sister so - having a brother who is short with words is a bit different. :) Maybe that's why we love all this blogging and commenting online??? Hmmm. . . deep in thought. I will have to check out the Quite book as well. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteMy sister and I can talk or Skype for hours. My husband often wonders especially when we talk more than once a day what on Earth we could have to talk about!! That is what is the best--we don't have to have anything to talk about it is just a time to connect with one another.
ReplyDeleteYou and your sister seem to have such a special relationship.So great that you enjoy each other so much. I'm not sure, reading your comments, whether I am an introvert or an extrovert. I have always said I'm an extrovert I love going out to dinner or being with a group of friends. I love being at home with a good book and a warm beverage. I don't like being in big groups of people, or going into situations with lots of new people, so maybe I am an introvert. Hmmm. I haven't read the book QUIET but really want to get hold of it.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your sister and a good book. I want to read Quiet. I am introvert who writes. I hate crowds but I like to act on stage. Life doesn't always make sense.
ReplyDeleteThis reminds me very much of the relationship I have with my mom. You describe the ease of the relationship you and your sister have with perfect detail.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind words about my sister on my post the other day.