Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A prompt


Here’s a picture. You have an hour. Go write. Use your best pre-writing strategies and all the writer’s craft we have learned.

If I ask the kids to write to a prompt, shouldn’t I try the same?
I can write in an hour when a prompt is given.
I think I can write in an hour when a prompt is given.
I think that may-be I can write in an hour when a prompt is given.
Can I write when a prompt is given?
I can’t write. Seriously. How can I possibly write under these conditions?
The wooden chair I am sitting on doesn’t agree with my bottom. The artificial lights are blindingly bright. The cacophony of keyboard clicking and sniffing noses is deafening. My brain is on a break and plays headache-causing hopscotch.  My creative spirit is allergic to children and educational environment…..

“Don’t blame me. Stop making the excuses. You already used that idea for the wordless summer slice. Besides you’re not writing a slice. You were the one who gave the writing prompt. Now eat your own soup. Just start writing.”

……. and I am very hungry.

“Write! Write! Write!”

I heard you. Don’t yell.

There was a man who sat on a chair….

“That’s your captivating lead and vivid details?”

Let me just write.

There was a man who sat on a chair. A wooden chair. The chair fell apart and the man bumped his head.

You don’t have to yawn so demonstratively; I can see your tonsils. Revolting.
Let me write.

When he opened his eyes, he found himself pressed against a rusted iron gate. A graveyard or a heaven? He couldn’t tell, because a massive bright feathered bird blocked his view. No, a man. No, a birdman. It certainly wasn’t an angel. How could it have been? The short spiky blue hair stood like a crown on top of his head. His hawk-eyes drilled through the man’s heart. The sharp-clawed feet and hook-crooked nose could have been used as lethal weapons.
“If you are not an angel, then I am not dead yet, and I am not greeted at the heaven door. Where am I?” The man managed to mutter with his trembling mind and mouth.
“Haven’t you always wanted to fly? This is your chance.” The birdman’s voice ringed like a xylophone.
“Yes, but I also wanted a bigger house.”
“This is not my expertise. You should have visited a goldfish.”
“I am not sure I want to fly. Sitting in a chair would be fine too. As long as it’s not wooden.”
“There’s Woody Woodpecker’s Woodwork Workshop Shop two blocks from your house. Let’s fly now.”
“I don’t know..”
“If you dare to dream, dare to live your dream”

“Stop. I can’t take it any more.”

But I was in a flow. I was getting somewhere.

“No you were not. Stop torturing me. Stop torturing yourself. Stop torturing the kids.”

But, but, but…. I am their teacher. I help them to become better writers.

“Dream on. Didn’t you know that when you speak during the writing workshop, they see a cabbage-head fish-mouthing, or sometimes your English becomes Martian and as you know they haven’t learned that yet.”

I kind of suspected it.  Never mind. Go away.

8 comments:

  1. The push and pull of the voices in our head and heart are always there questioning/ judging / evaluating our choices. I feel for the kids who must face these tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the duality in this. Sometimes it is crazy but I feel like I can do the prompt thing...but it has to be just in an environment where I feel safe. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. You cannot write when your head is yelling at your heart. I think that is the hardest thing about writing: getting your head and heart to stop arguing and start harmonizing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to write something, and then I glanced up and saw Donna's post and realized she had said it already and said it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terje, once again you have captured the writers' (or teachers') thoughts perfectly! I am wondering how my students picture me when I talk during writing time...hmmm...should I ask them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am laughing out loud. I am always delighted at the journey into your playful mind through your words. I want to read more of your forced prompt writing, but I am afraid that is the wrong response here. Your story (tortured out of you as it was) reminds me of David Almond's Skellig and Sharon Creech's The Unfinished Angel. What voice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the line, "now eat your own soup. Just start writing", Terje. I am hosting our first meeting of a school writing group tomorrow & might share this with them. I imagine it will be very useful for relaxation; you made me laugh out loud! Very fun to hear & see the excruciating feelings come out. I agree too with Christy; it does remind me of Skellig. I haven't read the Creech book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you had me laughing out loud too with the push and the pull of it all. I loved your confidence going into writing to a prompt and then quickly it faded....the wooden chair and your bottom, the lighting, and on and on. Just like the kids! I love your inner voice and conversation throughout! Your slice also reminds me of Ralph from the story book "Ralph Tells a Story."

    Could I write to a prompt? Probably, but not to the satisfaction of my writer's heart, as others mentioned. A good reminder for teachers to allow more choice!

    ReplyDelete