Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Spring on a windowsill

We planted tulips at school on the 24th of November. This was a all-over-the-city event organized by the Dutch embassy. The Dutch florist who came gave three tulip bulbs as a gift to everyone.
I don't have a garden. I don't have a green thumb.
A gift is a gift.
I planted the tulips and took the flower pot to the basement.
3 months the tulips waited in the darkness.
March began. My husband went to get some raspberry jam and returned with the jam and the tulip pot. Three little green noses were curiously peeking from the soil.
I believe that if I had had the patience to sit next to the pot I would have seen the tulips stretch in slow motion. Each day brought another "Look, how they have grown!" We still had snow outside when the red blossoms opened. I didn't find Thumbelina inside. I found the flowers nodding to me as if to say: "Never mind the cold and the gray, we have the color you need to light the day when the sun is hiding, just come and look at us."
I listened to them. The dirty melting snow and dark cloudy days have meant nothing when the gentle tulips greet me on the windowsill. I can see they are getting tired and will let their petals fall on any day. They have given me the patience to wait for the spring outside. It can't be far.



6 comments:

  1. I love this! It's always a nice treat to find a little bit of spring, however you find it, at the end of winter when you need it most. I enjoyed this story and the picture too! I'm starting to see mine growing outside my window! Spring is on it's way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three little green noses were curiously peeking from the soil. What a great way to say it. Don't they just make you smile when you look at them? A lovely way to bring spring into the house when it is still nasty outside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't find Thumbelina inside! What a charming thought; I can just picture a little fairy-like creature flutting around your beautiful tulip. There is something magical about a flower that pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tulips are my favorite flower. Love the idea of their green noses poking out of the dirt. Thanks for this taste of spring…

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something beautifully artistic about the shape and color of your tulips! You might not feel you have a green thumb, but they must think otherwise to gift you with such a lovely display of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all I really enjoyed the photo of the beautiful red tulips, it was a grey day here. My favorite part of your post is that you 'listened to them.' It has inspired me to look for hints of spring and listen to them here too!

    ReplyDelete