At one point in my teaching career I was faced with a choice to either loose a job or accept a fifth and sixth grade math and science teacher's position. Math? I did not like math. I did not always understand math. I had no desire to teach math. I did not voice any of that to the director. Instead I read and learned. I prepared myself as well as I could and when the school year started I entered the classroom acting as if math was the most wonderful subject in the world.
After three years I had a chance to return to primary grades. Because of my experience I was able to suggest resources to other teachers, and explain different concepts.
One day someone said, "You are the math teaching guru here. You clearly love it so much." It was the oddest compliment ever. But I guess it was true in some sense. I had discovered the beauty of math and overcome some fears.
In high school I had many very active classmates who participated in everything, organized events, volunteered for duties, performed and presented in public. I was fine in the role of the follower. I had no desire to do what they did.
In the university and and later in my job, life rolled some occasions on my way that forced me to do these things. Of course I was scared each time but I prepared myself as well as I could. Whether it was reading all the information before going to committee meetings, writing detailed notes and a time frame for a presentation, or collecting resources and planning activities during organizing a theme week. Because I was prepared I spoke when necessary.
One day someone said, "You are so bold, out-spoken, experienced and active. " It was true in some sense. I am still shy and wish someone else was in charge but if necessary I can be the leader or volunteer for committees or give a thank you speech or give a presentation.
I have never considered myself an organized person. I have never managed to keep a pocket calendar or a planning journal throughout a year. I quite often feel overwhelmed by what has to get done. I fear the amounts of paper that surrounds me. With all sorts of deadlines looming I feel surrounded by chaos most of the school year.
I have read what others do and peeked into other classrooms to get ideas for organization. I have tried every possible tool for organizing papers. I use multiple ways to remind myself what has to get done. Post-it notes and e-mails to myself seem to work the best.
"You are well-organized. This is clearly your strength," a colleague commented during a peer-evaluation session. I still don't consider myself an organized person, but then again I am not going to argue if someone gives me a compliment.
It has been too short of a time to say that I have been through a similar metamorphosis with writing. Slowly, slowly some changes happen. All my life I could divide people into writers and then non-writers. The first had an abundance of ideas that they couldn't keep inside and had to write in their journals. They either walked around and hummed a hymn to the world or then locked themselves in a room and poured the agony of life on a paper. Others preferred to avoid writing but did it when they had to. I was part of the second group.
Having to teach writing I had to understand it better. I read about writing and read about writers. Then I joined the Slice of Life challenge last year. I continued writing on Tuesdays. I experimented with ways to collect ideas, ways to structure my texts, played with words, collected inspiration from other writers, and filled my journals with words.
It was an odd sensation when I started getting compliments in the comments, and people called me a writer. I still need more time to convince myself in that. At the same time I know that the pool of ideas is open to everyone, writing amplifies joy and helps to erase frustration. I am not afraid to write. The change continues.
Oh yes...when I was a newbie teacher, I felt that some people were born to be writers and the rest of us had to work at it. I had a life changing experience with the National Writing Project neary 25 years ago that changed my thinking - and this past month has been not only a reminder but also confirming.
ReplyDeleteMy grandmother had a saying that went something like this..."If you get up and don't feel well, put on your best outfit, a little splash of lipstick, and go out and do something."
ReplyDeleteI have carried her message with me my whole adult life (not the best outfit and lipstick). Her message being, if you have to, fake it and you will feel better for doing so. She was right. A smile and an I can attitude can turn a negative into a positive. Seems like you have completely embraced this attitude as well. Congratulations for facing your fears. I have enjoyed reading your posts.
Thank goodness the changing never ends, what would we do with ourselves if we were finished? My motto is "fake it till you make it." I've enjoyed your slices. I look forward to seeing you on Tuesdays.
ReplyDeleteTerje, I love the way you show how each challenge in your life was met, then conquered by you and the surprise you express with each compliment. You have strength you didn't know you had.
ReplyDeleteWriting is a strength that you are sharing with the world, I thank you. I'm glad you write (and comment, thank you for your kind words).
I really appreciate how you described "pretending" (not the right word but..) to be what you were not and then becoming that. It sounds to me like you have many hidden strengths and talents and are uncovering them one day at a time. Thank you for your frequent visits to my blog and all the words of encouragement. I so appreciate it!
ReplyDeleteTerje, you are gifted at whatever you set your mind to do. You write, dance, teach, organize . . . You are also a great encourager. I have appreciated your comments throughout the month. Thank you for always being there.
ReplyDeleteYou are a writer. I have enjoyed and needed your comments. I have always enjoyed reading your slices. Thanks for being a slicer and a good example for this new slicer.
ReplyDeleteI could never imagine teaching Math, but I wonder what I would have done in your shoes. It made you a better teacher I'll bet. I felt the same way about writing and after years of writing I AM A WRITER.
ReplyDeleteJust a push and a challenge. How important.
See you back here Tuesday :)
What a great last slice,
Bonnie
I have really enjoyed your slices, and your comments on my blog. This post is truly profound - a great description of how we can "act ourselves into mastery," a message I try to get across to my children, my students, and myself. Change comes by trying, over and over, with focus and care. You are an excellent writer...and I hope to continue to follow you in your blog...does this title ("Just for a month") mean your blog is temporary?
ReplyDeleteI liked how the surprises snuck up on you and gave you pause and a moment of reflection. Change happens slowly for sure, but then all of sudden, it's done and we're there.
ReplyDeleteKind of helps us to believe that maybe we truly can be whatever we want to be, whatever we put our minds to! I loved your description of change and how it lead to others noticing your new found strengths.
ReplyDeleteI love this glimpse into so many places in your life. I admire your strength to overcome challenges and your drive to grow no matter what you are doing.
ReplyDeleteI am grateful to be continuing this journey through the world and through recording the world with you on Tuesdays!
I am so thankful that you decided to continue writing. I remember last year reading your writing in awe thinking, 'she's only going to write for just a month?' And you kept writing, and you kept writing, and you kept writing. I am so glad that you are not afraid to write. The change does continue . . . so write on!
ReplyDeleteThank you for all your thoughtful comments this month. It was fun to have an 'old' friend (I'm not referring to the double-twenty either) along for a second challenge! :)
It is amazing how we can transform if we put our mind to it. You are a great example how to put your best foot forward. I'm transitioning to become an instructional coach from a literacy coach and doing lots and lots of reading. I am excited about the challenge. Just keep thinking, "One step at a time." Thank you for all your supportive comments!
ReplyDeleteAlways great to 'hear' your thinking Terje. It seems that many of us (like your examples) do what is needed to feel success although it doesn't always feel that way inside our hearts. The slang I've heard is "fake it till you make it", but sometimes if we stuff the feelings inside so much, we might not get the help needed for whatever challenge faced. It's a dilemma of choice-how much to say, how much to hide. I love how you've got me thinking from your words. It often happens in your posts, so thank you, & thanks for your kindness to me in your comments! See you Tuesdays!
ReplyDeleteI feel like I just read part of my auto-biography! My principal told me not long ago (he has only been my principal for a year-and-a-half) that he appreciates my organization. I told him that I have surely got him fooled! :) And, as far as writing, my experience is that of yours with math. When I started teaching Writing, I was afraid, absolutely NOT excited, and ABSOLUTELY clueless. Isn't it a beautiful thing the way time, knowledge, experience, and practice change us? I now see myself as a writing teacher and find unexplainable amounts of joy in it! Excited for you to continue your journey, Terje!
ReplyDeleteWhat a thoughtful way to end this slicing experience...you put so much thought into your slices and comments, too...thank you.
ReplyDelete