During the whole school staff day, when we discussed our common reading about creativity, and people kept saying that we are all creative and wonderful in many ways, I had a thought throbbing in my mind: "I am an ordinary person and that is OK."
I am an ordinary person who likes simple things and enjoys simple life. I like trying things I haven't tried before but I have no ambition for fame. I feel that I am like a child who has seen others playing a game and wants to join in. But I don't want to compete or have judges giving me points.
I have taken drawing and painting lessons. I enjoyed to see how from chalk lines or paint brushes something emerged. Not something you would put on your wall, but good enough to get a nod from my teacher.
I have taken dance lessons for years. I enjoy how the music rushes through my body and my husband holds me and we almost fly when we waltz. Not exactly like swans, but good enough to get a compliment from our teacher.
I have experimented with baking. I enjoy the process of searching for new recipes, collecting the ingredients, mixing the dough, waiting for the pastries or cookies to be ready and cool, and then eat them. Not something that would be on a cover of a food magazine, but delicious enough for the family to request to bake more.
I joined this writing challenge. I enjoy searching for ideas, choosing words, the little slice taking shape, pressing the "publish post" button. Not something that would be remembered in the history of world literature, but good enough to get some sweet positive comments.
I am an ordinary person and that is OK. There is one thing however, where I hope to make a difference, and that is education. I am passionate about teaching, and my experience in an international school has led me to believe that every child should have a positive experience at school. So I will be heading off to a conference today where I am part of a group that discusses how to make Estonian state education system more child centered.
I am an ordinary person who likes simple things and enjoys simple life. I like trying things I haven't tried before but I have no ambition for fame. I feel that I am like a child who has seen others playing a game and wants to join in. But I don't want to compete or have judges giving me points.
I have taken drawing and painting lessons. I enjoyed to see how from chalk lines or paint brushes something emerged. Not something you would put on your wall, but good enough to get a nod from my teacher.
I have taken dance lessons for years. I enjoy how the music rushes through my body and my husband holds me and we almost fly when we waltz. Not exactly like swans, but good enough to get a compliment from our teacher.
I have experimented with baking. I enjoy the process of searching for new recipes, collecting the ingredients, mixing the dough, waiting for the pastries or cookies to be ready and cool, and then eat them. Not something that would be on a cover of a food magazine, but delicious enough for the family to request to bake more.
I joined this writing challenge. I enjoy searching for ideas, choosing words, the little slice taking shape, pressing the "publish post" button. Not something that would be remembered in the history of world literature, but good enough to get some sweet positive comments.
I am an ordinary person and that is OK. There is one thing however, where I hope to make a difference, and that is education. I am passionate about teaching, and my experience in an international school has led me to believe that every child should have a positive experience at school. So I will be heading off to a conference today where I am part of a group that discusses how to make Estonian state education system more child centered.
I identified with your piece. I often tell people I am a Jack of all trades and a master of none. Do you feel that way? I think my passion is teaching but I keep learning about what I do not know.
ReplyDeleteI think many of us feel this way. But my guess is, you are extraordinary in your life.
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing ordinary in being a passionate educator, simply because there are never enough passionate educators. The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is the 'extra' effort one puts in.
ReplyDeleteIt seems to me that the fact that you continue to learn all those things you mentioned, like dancing, makes you extra-ordinary. Few continue to learn 'new' things, & then finally you tell us about your coming work to make changes in education. Sounds like an extra-extraordinary person to me!
ReplyDeleteI can identify with what you are saying. You spelled it beautiful, but I believe your passion for education makes you unique. Not all people who teach possess the quality of continuous improvement. You may decide to look reflectively on your classroom without fanfare, but I believe the reflective teacher is extraordinary. Those who strive to make a difference without pats on the back the entire time they are doing it are doing it for the best reason: their students.
ReplyDelete"ordinary" people do extraordinary things every day!
ReplyDeleteTerje,
ReplyDeleteI like Katie's remark. So I'll write it again (good for me to remember, too): "ordinary people do extraordinary things every day!" Thank you for working to make this world a better place.
Erin
Maybe the 'o' in your OK is for ordinary but the 'k' is definitely for kudos!
ReplyDeleteWe are all ordinary in the scheme of life, but we are extraordinary in the eyes of many that surround us each day.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your extraordinary writing, honest thoughts, and beautiful words with us!
I have the perfect book for you to pick up. It's called "The OK Book" by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and illustrated by Tom Lichtenheld. Basically, we are ok at a lot of things, but it's about the fun we have trying them! Great book for kids and adults alike! (And you'll notice that the stick figure character in the book is the word OK on its side! How clever!)