Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Day 26: Student-led conferences - the highlight of the school year

Read more slices at Two Writing Teachers


Yesterday was one of the I-don't-want-to-be-a-teacher kind of a day. We were preparing for the student-led-conferences, and nothing went as planned, emotions were heated, I thought the students would not be ready, and the day ahead might end in a disaster.

Days change. 
Feelings change.

Today the student-led-conferences have made me smile.

I have felt:
Delight - seeing the students taking charge and sharing what they had learned and created.
Appreciation - parents and grandparents took an hour to attentively listen to the children.
Relief - all the nervousness subsided and the students were focused to show their learning.
Entertainment - the students explained the different forms of energy with enthusiasm.
Surprise - the students shared more than we had originally planned. 
Enjoyment - listening the students read books and personal narratives to their parents.
Amusement - to hear some new ideas on what writers apparently do.
Satisfaction - seeing kids being proud of their accomplishments.
Affection - the visible love and compassion between parents and children.

Today I love being a teacher.


10 comments:

  1. There are days we all feel like "I-Don't_want-to-be-a teacher" and then magic happens to make use realize it's all worth it. I'm happy your student-led conferences went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just left your post from yesterday. I'm so happy there was such a quick turn around. Thanks for sharing this. The grown ups in the pictures look engaged and awe-struck! It must have been amazing. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Then there's the students-make-me-proud kind of day which wipes away the other kind of day. So glad your students were able to shine for their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I did love seeing my students present last week, & now you've reminded me of the good things, Terje.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the days we know we make a difference. Glad things turned around foryou.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this bookend to your yesterday - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A new day! Joy and celebration of learning! This is why we teach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it wonderful to start each day fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember those days..getting so nervous that things would go very badly and they never did! Love how you shared all your feelings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a terrific day! Thank you for sharing all the good news from the day!

    ReplyDelete