Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Tuesday

a photo by my friend
What school? What tasks? What stress? School seems so distant.
Everything is splendid now. Sleep - check. Time for reading - check. Holiday preparation - almost check.
The best part of today - a five hour breakfast with three friends. The day was gray as ever, the mist wrapping the tops of taller buildings in the city and sprinkling fine rain all around. My friend's little apartment greeted us with warmth and candle light.  We sat around an oval wooden table in a small white kitchen. Savoring hot drinks, croissants, slightly salted salmon fillets, pâté, tomatoes, mozzarella, and gingerbread cookies we let the conversation unroll. We tried to stay away from speaking about school but it kept sneaking in, in between talking about kids, parents, books, theater, movies, education, politics, arts, sports, holidays, learning, plans, and dreams. We have worked together more than fifteen years, teachers through and through. We talked about guarding our hearts. We talked about keeping our spark. We talked about filling our cups. The clock kept ticking, We paid no attention. No hurry. Relaxed. Happy.

********************
I wish you all unhurried time with dear ones - friends and family, and if you need some time just for yourself - I wish you will have this time too.

8 comments:

  1. Unhurried time with family and friends is one of the best gifts of Christmas (and other winter holidays, too). I'll be at a lunch tomorrow I expect will be a lot like your breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel calmer just reading this post --enjoy. I am looking forward to the same on Friday. This is a great piece to model the description of setting for students.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to spend a morning....good friends, good food, good conversation, and no clock to punch. Happy holidays to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful morning for you! "No hurry. Relaxed. Happy." Enjoy these days and the sweet, slow pace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful morning for you! "No hurry. Relaxed. Happy." Enjoy these days and the sweet, slow pace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your description of unhurried time....peace...and the joy it brings....my break is after Christmas and I hope to have a few of those days/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your description of your friend's white kitchen, the oval wooden table, the warmth and candlelight was such a cozy setting with friends. "...guarding our hearts, keeping our spark, filling our cups..." I think your time together fit the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm...Unhurried time...so amazing...

    ReplyDelete