Waiting for the silence to return, I hold our current read aloud book in my hand. I breathe and continue lifting Kathrine Applegate's words off the page and awaken the story of a mighty silverback, an artist, trapped in a shopping mall.
An old banana peel would work, I've eaten them all.
Not-Tag is brown. My little pool is blue. The yogurt raisin...
Before I finish the sentence a loud burp speeds like a fire on a fuse across the classroom blasting off rambunctious laughter, once again shattering the moment, shaking my inner balance.
Feeling that my reptilian brain has taken over, knowing that I can't think rationally, afraid of how my emotions might affect my reaction, I slowly, without a word, place a bookmark in between the pages, close the book, place it on a shelf, take my tea cup, and walk out of the classroom, head down a long hallway towards the water cooler, fill my cup, take a sip, take my time walking back, thinking of what to do.
My students know how I feel about the read aloud time. Respecting the sound, honoring the words, appreciating the gift of story- this is what allows us to get lost in the book - therefore I have low tolerance for noise during this part of the day. When the flow of the reading is interrupted, I may pause before continuing, or stop reading altogether. I understand that N's intent was not aimed to distract the reading or get me upset. He just couldn't resist the temptation to get the attention of his friends.
Before I reach the classroom door I see C - N's best friend, companion in silliness, first to burst into laughing - standing in front of the class, holding my book and reading our loud to others. Everybody listens.

What a clear description of the sound of the burp and the students' reaction. We've all been there and been on both sides of the behavior. Your reaction seemed to still the students, but the power of the story was not to be left behind on this day.
ReplyDeleteI must say that I would not have handled this situation as well as you did.
ReplyDeleteWow! I love how your student's companion in silliness stepped up and did the right thing. You've clearly done something right with your students, Terje.
ReplyDeleteIt ends well - with happiness.
ReplyDeleteI love this post! Silliness has erupted in my room during read aloud lately and I find it difficult not to react emotionally. The gift of story is sacred to me, too. I love how your piece ended and I know that in my class kids treasure the time as well, begging for just one more chapter, etc. It still is hard when I'm lost in a literary world and jerked back by a burst of not-so-appropriate first grade behavior. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteSuch an unexpected ending. I have been working on my response to students' interruptions. In fact, my one little word (OLW) this year is responsiveness. Your writing is so descriptive and precise. Know that I will play the movie of your moment in my mind the next time I need to respond to a disruption, as you are a model I'd like to imitate! Thanks for sharing your story.
ReplyDeleteAnd you really didn't have to say a thing, Terje. Powerful action, and wonderful end. Your students do know what is right, and what is not.
ReplyDeleteAll of it. Just pure perfection.
ReplyDeleteOh, wow, that ending gave me goosebumps. They knew just what to do. What a grand role model you've been for them.
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness. What a moment.
ReplyDelete