Read more slices at Two Writing Teachers
The creaking floorboards seem to be laughing at my attempts to sneak behind kids to see what answers they choose on the computer screen during MAP test. Or may be it's a warning to not look and save some nerves. My temptation to observe is so strong I interrupt the testing silence with every step I take. Funny actually, this is probably one of the rare times my rowdy class has managed to keep quiet. I should enjoy the silence. No. I can't sit nor stand still. Forget the mindful presence. My mind is racing with the worries about my students' possible results. Come what may, there is nothing I can do.
"What does the word "genre" mean?" I read over T.'s shoulder.
I breathe with relief because I know he knows.
I don't have time to read all the answers when T. already chooses the first one "A. character."
My heart screams "Whyyyy?"
Ignoring all the official rules I ask him quietly,"Did you read the question and answers twice?"
"I didn't have to. This was an easy question. I know what "gender" means."
Not sure whether I should laugh or cry.
The creaking floorboards sound sadder than before. Or maybe they sigh because I didn't listen to them. Years of being a teacher but I still haven't learned not to watch and not to worry during the test.
Time to count what's well.
This was just one question.
T.'s one of the best readers in class.
The fifth grade teacher said he has participated very well in Literature Circles.
This time he really took his time to take the test instead of racing through it.
He was able to stay focused.
He was able to be quiet.
We'll soon go back to our own classroom without the creaking floorboards.

Yes, it is best not to see what they are doing. They are doing their best, you have done your best. Your creaking floorboards were sending you a message. Continue to count what's well.
ReplyDeleteThe tension you feel because you want your students to succeed comes across beautifully in this post.
ReplyDeleteVery nicely written.
We are MAP testing this week also and I feel your stress. I'm generally not in the room with my kids during the test because of the way my school sets it up, but the testing spills over into other parts of the day. The MAP test is useful, but it doesn't tell the whole story, just as you so eloquently pointed out.
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard not to look and observe. But I would be fired over writing about a question! Yikes! I am sure your students will do fine because they have an exceptional teacher! :)
ReplyDeleteI think one of the hardest things we have to do is proctor tests and be quite while doing it. It is not in our nature. We have to trust our students to do what we know they can.
ReplyDeleteOh, it drove me nuts to watch kids answering incorrectly things that you knew they knew - and oftentimes you would find out later what the misunderstanding was. And as with this one, it wasn't a matter of not knowing, but misreading. Crazy-frustrating!
ReplyDeleteWe watch and worry all the time - part of our job description, right?!
ReplyDeleteWe watch and worry all the time - part of our job description, right?!
ReplyDeleteWhen I am proctoring, I am so nervous about how my kids are doing, that I cannot even focus long enough to read the questions! I can never remember anything about the tests, and I think I am happy about that!
ReplyDeleteWhen I am proctoring, I am so nervous about how my kids are doing, that I cannot even focus long enough to read the questions! I can never remember anything about the tests, and I think I am happy about that!
ReplyDeleteSo difficult to not want to help. Yes, the squeaking floor boards were your clue to not read the questions and answers. You have taught them and they have done their best. Tomorrow is a new day with new things to teach.
ReplyDeleteLove the ribbon of the creaking floorboards running through this Slice. I sighed aloud with you at his response. It's only a test, right? Doesn't measure everything. Tomorrow is a new day.
ReplyDeleteI am proctoring my first PARCC tomorrow, and I can certainly relate to your stress of wanting your students to do well while figuring out the challenges that they are facing. It's almost against our nature as teachers or surrogate parents to leave our kids out there to either sink or swim.
ReplyDelete