Pages

Monday, January 5, 2015

How to choose One Little Word



"Strawberry" was my One Little Word (OLW) for 2014. Super word. Best ever. Then again I have had only three OLW-s so far: write, spark and strawberry. Compared to Ruth's 10 my number is small but nevertheless I have learned something about the process of choosing.

Choosing One Little Word is an inquiry into:

  • your inner world (Who am I? What do I value?) 
  • language (What word would be the best metaphor for what I need, want or dream about currently in my life?)
  • philosophy (How can one word be magical enough to influence my decisions and actions?)
  • visual literacy (What are the ways to make my word visible?)

Like nobody has to make new year resolutions, nobody has to have a word for a year. People do both because they like to have something guiding and reminding them. It's figuring out ways to be happy, usually involving health, relationships, meaning of life, and personal growth. Resolutions imply responsibility and may induce guilt later if not met. OLW has an inspiring role.

Choosing and living with OLW can take many forms.
You can:

  • Figure out what you need, want and dream about and think what word/theme would reach over everything as an umbrella.
  • Read a list of OLWs and choose some that sound the best and pick one that speaks the loudest to you. 
  • Take a five day e-mail class with Susannah Conway to  choose your word.
  • Get inspired (#olw2015). Read what others have chosen and see what clicks with you
  • Think of an inspiring person, a book or a quote and think of a word in relation to these
  • Get together with friends and talk about possibilities
  • Make it into a game and try all the different ways
  • Forget about choosing and the word may just pop up 

Once you have your word, you can:



You could easily go without a word because others would share their words and remind you to take time for yourself and loved ones, be kind to yourself and others, keep learning, experiment, challenge yourself, forgive, be thankful, celebrate, and have fun.

Tomorrow I'll share how I chose my word for 2015. (Not a berry this time)

3 comments:

  1. I just loved reading this piece, Terje. It's the kind of post I'm going to point people towards when they want to get started creating OLWs in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW: I thought these two articles might interest you:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/opinion/sunday/resolving-to-create-a-new-you.html?module=Search&mabReward=relbias%3Ar%2C%7B%221%22%3A%22RI%3A5%22%7D&_r=0
    and
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/2015/01/05/personal-coaches-and-mission-statements/?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&bicmp=AD&bicmlukp=WT.mc_id&bicmst=1409232722000&bicmet=1419773522000&referrer=.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for explaining the OLW...I didn't know a lot about it,except for reading the beautiful posts where people share the impact of the OLW on their lives.

    ReplyDelete