Hundreds of slices to read and inspire at Two Writing Teachers blog
No description, just a slice of thoughts:
Meeting people, taking courses, reading books, blogs and magazines, allows to find amazing resources and inspiration to learn and live.
At the same time it can give an annoying feeling of being behind.
Another annoying feeling follows it.
I feel that I am stretched in different directions and therefore lack focus and will never be an expert in anything.
If I had just one major role in my life (a mother or a teacher) I could devote my time to giving my full attention, finding best engaging activities, creating memorable moments, reflecting on situations, being present at all events, to either my daughters or students. Now, I give time and effort to both, yet constantly feel that there is still so much to do.
If I had just one area to teach (reading, writing, math, science) I could devote my time in learning, exploring, and perfecting my practice in that area. Now, I know some of everything, but nothing enough to be considered as an expert.
If I were living, thinking, learning, reading, and writing in only one language, I could expand my vocabulary, trim my grammar, polish my expressions, and gain confidence in presenting. Now, I love my mother tongue, but working in an English speaking environment has messed up my grammar, and in English, no matter how much I learn or practice, I will never be able to understand the subtle nuances of the language or express some phrases as beautifully as they sound in Estonian.
Like with the feeling of being behind the question is about perspective.
I ask myself: Would I change my situation if I were granted a wish?
I answer: No.
No.
I may feel stretched, lack specific focus and never become an expert in one area, but all the different areas of my life make me rich.
I am so rich.
My daughters are the best part of my life. Being a mother allows me to understand my students and parents. My students have brought me both smiles and wrinkles, and never ending surprises and learning situations. Being a teacher allows me to observe, understand and support my own children from educational perspective.
Being a third grade teacher in a school that follows IBO PYP programme has helped me to see how attitudes, trans-disciplinary skills, different subject areas, inquiry based learning, and giving ownership of the learning to students, all together support the growth of the whole child. I look at the big picture, find connections, and weave together the best and essential of different areas.
Having a second language has opened the world to me. Knowing English helped me to live a year in the USA, get a job at a international school, join Literacy Coaching cohort, read volumes of best educational resources and discover fantastic authors and stories, find this amazing writing community. Being an Estonian has allowed me to understand what it feels to be a minority, rely on the strength of my roots, appreciate the beauty of my homeland, look beyond the boarders of my country, feel joy from little things like black bread and picking berries in a forest.
This doesn't make my life better than someone's who has one major role, lives and works in a native language environment, and specializes in one area. They have their richness and strengths, they give their hearts and devote their time to causes where they know they can make a difference and to people who matter to them.
I may never become the shining leader in one area, but I can become the best me possible, always growing and learning, finding balance and joy, gathering inspiration, sharing my experience, being kind to others, laughing, breathing and loving.

Terje, this is beautiful! I think you are already a leader in the blogging world. Your posts are always filled with thoughts and ideas that inspire others! I loved this line about joy: "...feel joy from little things like black bread and picking berries in a forest." That's what makes your blog unique and special! It is written by you!
ReplyDeleteA beautiful post, indeed, Terje. You always write with such sparkling detail and conviction about all these different areas - and enrich our lives in this way, too.
ReplyDeleteTerje, thanks for your honesty in your writing. Reading your blog today was a good reminder to me that other people experience similar emotions to what I feel. I am encouraged by your line, "I may never become the shining leader in one area, but I can become the best me possible, always growing and learning, finding balance and joy, gathering inspiration, sharing my experience, being kind to others, laughing, breathing and loving." Wow! That is a great goal for all of us.
ReplyDeleteMy words can't express what yours did. But, to make you feel better, no one is an expert ever. No matter how much you focus on one thing. To me there is so much more in the marriage of so many experiences and needs. Focus may make you an expert, but just like perfection (I'm thinking of those pictures when they make faces perfectly symmetrical) , it isn't beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI think many of us can relate to your post today. If only we could concentrate on one thing how much easier and better things would be. However, I believe that the diversity in our lives is what makes us more interesting and keeps us wanting to learn more.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely, you can be all that and more when you choose to. I think it might be rather dull to stick to one area, Terje. You seem to be an expert to me in all those areas, but I do understand the feeling of stretched. Now that I am working with ages 5-14, I leap from part to part some days, a lot to take in. Love your post today!
ReplyDeleteYou amaze me with all you are able to accomplish. You are a shining leader to me.
ReplyDeleteI think we as women always feel stretched and never an expert which is sad because I know some wonderfully strong and talented women. I only know you through your words but you are an inspiration to me and I know many others as well. Thank you for sharing this post and this part of you.
ReplyDeleteYou are enough. Just you being you, my friend.
ReplyDeleteThanks for putting into words what we all think so many times. I'm so impressed by your writing, balance of two languages and your awesome ideas. Keep sharing, please. You are an expert in our eyes!
ReplyDeleteOh Terje -- you wouldn't be you without all of these roles. My reality is that I hold pretty much one role, and I still feel behind all the time! ;) It's the way of the world, maybe???
ReplyDelete